Will it hurt baby if I can barely eat?

iVillage Member
Will it hurt baby if I can barely eat?
Fri, 08-20-2004 - 4:04pm
I just found out yesterday that my aunt's cancer is taking over her body with a vengance. I am close to her and just saw her not to long ago. Another relative called and said I should go see her because she's been wasting away and not really telling anyone. I'm going to bring some food out to her and my cousin.

Since I found this out yesterday I have barely been able to eat. I am stressed for my aunt and cousin (her daughter) and I gag if I put food in my mouth. I have no idea how long it will take me to adjust and begin to eat again, but I'm worried about hurting the baby. I managed to take my prenatal vitamin last night, but that was a challenge.

Thanks for any info.

Alicia

EDD 3-6-05

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2004 - 4:41pm
Keep trying to manage to take your vitamin. The placenta has been storing nutrition & will continue to take nutrition before your body receives any. It's best to have this storage for the 3rd month, but there is a reason your placenta does this .... in case of famine.

In fact I heard on NPR about 2 years ago a study done in England. They believe the reason women get ms is so they do NOT eat a lot nutrients during the 1st trimester. This forces the placenta to store up anything it can get a hold of. Then by the 3rd trimester the placenta is FAT with nutrients.

So do what you can to get the vitamin down to continue replenishing the nutrients in the placenta.

Another idea is to try to sip on something like Slim Fast, Ensure, Carnation, or some sort of drink that is doused with nutrients, plus the sugar should help keep you going.

Don't put a lot on your plate. Try putting a single piece of brocolli, 1/2-slice of wheat (multi-grain) bread/toast, and 1 tbs of peanuts on your plate. Strange combo I know, but they are all small & easy to nibble on slowly. This will provide a tiny bit of iron, vit.C, calcium, protien, fat and your grains.

Sooner or later your body will cry out for some sort of food so try to make what ever you nibble on count. A strawberry, a few grapes, whole-wheat cracker, etc.

Until then, know your body has prepared for such an occassion. Think of all the babies born during the depression era & those babies are our parents & grandparents now.

I don't know how to console in regards to your aunt. I've lost people from my life, but never anybody I was EXTREMELY close to. And I do a very terrible thing, when I find out their sick I tend to fade away. I'm trying desperately not to do that with my bro now (HIV & possible MS) - but it doesn't help he is doing this himself too.

Hang in there!

P&PT

Bonnie (24w6d)

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-20-2004 - 8:56pm
Bonnie,

Thanks for the info it makes me feel better. I'll try your ideas as I'm still am not wanting to eat. The nutrition drink sounds good too--much better than the water I am managing to drink.

I'm not good at consoling people either, but I know that my aunt being sick is part of the cycle of life. It's hard to deal with, but I can't imagine being 28 and an only child like my cousin and losing my mother. It just makes me appreciate my family even more.

Alicia

EDD 3-06-05

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-21-2004 - 2:26pm
Alicia,

My dh was 28 when he lost his mother. He too is an only child & had NO family to support him. Except his marriage to me, he was alone in the world, orphaned. Oh the reason I fought so hard to have a 2nd child.

Try to be there for your cousin as much as possible. For you are her family too. This is going to take years for before she can start to recover. It took yrs for dh to come out of his depression enough to think about starting our own family. I sometimes wonder if that is why he took the mc so hard - the extra-strong desire for a family.

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Peace be with you and your family.

Bonnie

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng