Help w/ tailbone pain anyone?

iVillage Member
Help w/ tailbone pain anyone?
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 11:54am
Is anyone else experiencing a lot of pain in the region of the tailbone? Mine is getting worse. And to frighten me I had back labor with both my live birth & mc, so I keep freaking out that I'm in preterm.

I know I brought it up to my OB. She had asked if I felt the siatic nerve & I asked if that is the pain in my tailbone. She said no that would probably be caused by ..... I don't remember what she said!

I did find some stuff on the Internet for Posterior Pelvic Pain. All they did was describe the pain, which sounds right, but no where did it describe ways to deal with it. Although it did say what could cause it (I guess to avoid it), which one was to not sit in a car for more than 1/2 hour. I'm leaving tomorrow morning to visit my family one last time before I have this baby. It's a 12 hour car ride, each way!!!! We are stopping every 2-3 hours to give us all a little exercise.

Does anyone know how to help this sort of pain?

BETTER DESCRIPTION:

It seems to start right at my tail bone, the front of my pelvis bone is extremely sore (like I've been kicked there) & the inside of my thighs. If my 2 yo runs away from me I can barely run after him w/o wanting to scream in pain (that is from the pain in my inner-thighs).

TMI, sorry, but if I pass gas or have a 'movement' the pain does lessen a bit.

SIDE NOTE: Laying down really sucks cuz I have indegestion so bad that I get terrible chest & upper back pain when I do.

I sometimes wish I was having a boy again, jeeze that pg was soooooooo easy.

TIA,

Bonnie (25w6d)

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 12:25pm
I had something similar to that about 7 weeks ago maybe a little longer and it still bothers me a little. I was in the shower and sneezed and my tail bone popped it was the most horrible pain, I couldn't sit unless i was on the toilet without it hurting, I could lay down but it hurt trying to get up, Even getting up from sitting hurt really bad, like i said it still hurts if i still sit to long.

Now as for your trip, you need to get out every 1 1/2-2 hours at the most- to stretch your legs, so you don't get a blood clot in your legs ect.. Now that is what my doc told us and we did that on the way there, 4-5 hour drive- but on the way back we didn't, I was sitting for about 3 hours, and the day after we got home, that is when i was in the shower and it first happened. So just be real careful on your trip. I understand the pain that you are going through believe me.

Holly

DS 12.12.01

~i~ 8.30.03

EDD 10.3.04

Oh yeah by the way the doc said that your muscles in your lower back, or nerves can't remember, anyway the all connect to your tail bone and she said when i sneezed that it made the muscle contract and that is what happen....I don't know if its the same as you but just thought i would put my 2 cents in. She told me it would probly hurt till after i had the baby but like i said it barely bothers me anymore. I just took 6 weeks+ to heal.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 1:20pm
Thanks Holly,

I've been having soreness for the past few weeks, but 2 nights ago I twisted wrong in bed & I've been in pain every since.

Oh what we do for our babes!

I told my OB we'd be stopping about every 2 hours & she said that should be good. There is one that is going to be almost 3 hours long, but everytime we stop I need to get my ds out & there is just nothing but desert from the 1-3 hour marks. At the 'nearly' 3 hour mark there is a playground next to the Columbia River. I think we'll all enjoy that better than walking on the side of the road.

I also plan to bicycle my legs every 1/2 hour from my seat.

Bonnie (25w6d)

"Only when we are sick of our sickness shall we cease to be sick."

~ Lao-Tzu, from The Tao Te Cheng
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 3:12pm
Bonnie-

I have yet to experience this-but I heard that you could sit on a boppy & sometimes that would help since if you position it right you can take the pressure off the tailbone area. HTH.

-Laura

#1 EDD 2/6

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 9:18pm
Bonnie-

Just be careful on the ride I would hate for you to have anymore pain then what you already have. Have a good trip.

Holly
iVillage Member
Fri, 08-27-2004 - 9:44pm
Bonnie,

I'm very familiar with this. I get this every time I'm pregnant. If it runs down your leg(s), then it's sciatica. But if it's just in your tailbone region then it's your sacroiliac joint--that's what mine is mostly.

With my older DS, I got it so bad at about 11 weeks that I ended up going to the ER cuz I couldn't walk or move without crying. My SIL recommended her chiropractor--he's wonderful! He gave me exercises to do and I went to see him 1-2x a week. I was 100% better in about 3-4 weeks. Now at the first sign of trouble I make an appt with him to help the pain.

I've been slacking on my exercises lately so this time it's lingering a little longer. Mine always clears up after I'm no longer pregnant. It's ok to take Tylenol for it. I also use a heating pad now and then when it's bad. But you could also do an ice pack. Sitting for long periods will aggravate it.

Links:

http://www.spine-inc.com/glossary/p/pregnancy.htm

http://www.kalindra.com/pregnancy.pdf

http://www.allhealth.edu/womenshealth/education/health_topics/index.cfm?hera=5E035C&htopic=true

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/backpain/a/sciatica.htm

http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/sciatica/sciatic_nerve01.html

HTH,

Lynn

p.s. Go see a (good) chiropractor if it's interfering with your activities at all! I highly recommend it. You don't have to suffer.