What were baby's first movements like?

iVillage Member
What were baby's first movements like?
Sat, 03-06-2010 - 8:18am

I'm am 16 weeks 2 days today. Our last appointment was Feb 24, our next appt is March 24, and we get to find out the gender of the baby -- after much discussion, I think we will find out.

At our last appointment the OB said that I may start to feel movements within the next few weeks.
I think I've maybe felt movements twice, I think they were both yesterday, once at work in the AM, and once when I was at home in the early evening.

I could definitely tell it wasn't gas, or anything GI related, or round ligament pain.
It was below my belly button, midline, and felt like flutters or twitches even, perhaps, for just a second or two.

Do you think this could have been baby movements this early?

What did everyone else's first movements feel like?

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-06-2010 - 9:44pm

Yup, twitches is what I would describe too.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-07-2010 - 9:04am
I'm glad that you mentioned it was inconsistent. I haven't felt anything since Friday, and I'm about to start freaking out. But I'm trying really hard not have "PAL brain" as others call it.
Thank you for adding that tidbit!

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-07-2010 - 6:30pm

That definitely sounds like movement! I'm always amazed at how LOW the baby is. This time mine have been down at about my hip line and off to the left side. It's just like you describe- a little flutter or twitch. When they get a little stronger I think they feel more like bubbles (or at least I did last pg). It is on the early side for feeling them, but definitely within the right range! I started feeling what I was sure was movement this past week (17-18w)

Hooray for feeling movement!

~Michelle

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-07-2010 - 10:24pm

When I first felt my LO, I always described it as flutters, like there was a butterfly flapping.

WeeMee Profile Image

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 8:18am

sounds right to me! I started feeling that at 17 weeks and it is still inconsistent but increasing in frequency.

Pregnancy%20ticker