Should have never got the darn doppler!

iVillage Member
Should have never got the darn doppler!
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 11:14am
My doppler arrived yesterday in the mail and of course I couldn't wait to get home from nursery furniture shopping w/DH to try it out.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 2:43pm

if its pretty far on either of your sides is really might be your pulse! I can always pick up my own on either side of my pelivs, and I usually try to help me compare it to my LO's, because mine is so much less rapid and it makes it obvious when I do find my LO. It might just be too early for your doppler to pick up LO or I have read that sometimes when the numbers are low like that you are picking up a mixture of the two... I wouldn't let it freak you out until you have consistently found your LO HB and then it changes on you, kwim?

Also my doppler never reads a HB over 140 ish.. I dunno if my LO has a slower HB or the doppler just isn't that accurate, but every time the dr picks up the HB at my appointments they tell me all is well!

hopefully some of this helps and makes you feel better, if not, sorry! You are still pretty early though, so try to relax! :) Just keep experimenting with different areas to find the HB and always draw back to your own if you are not sure, because once you hear yours vs babys it is REALLY obvious! :) I remember at first it was really hit or miss with finding my LO but as I got further along it became easier....

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 4:49pm
Thanks for your reply Heather, it really does help.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 5:36pm

Hi Jen,

Well I just had an appointment this past week, I was about 13 weeks same as you. The doctor found a heartbeat of about 150 (although she had a hard time holding on to it as well, it kept moving around lol). She told me that anywhere from 120-150 is normal at this stage of the game. From what I have read the HB peaks at 9 or 10 weeks around 175 and drops down from there. So if you're reading 120-135 that's good according to my doctor's advice. And it could be picking up your own heartbeat and that might screw up the numbers too.

I had thought about getting a Doppler but decided it would probably just drive me crazy...anyways, try not to worry! I'm sure everything is fine. I'm glad you have an appointment Tuesday to help reassure you.

pregnancy week by week

Melissa - 38

DH - 38

DD - Almost 2!

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 7:56pm
I'm with Melissa on this one! I'm SO tempted to get

- Tiffany

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 8:22pm

Like so many of you, I too have really considered getting a doppler, but have so far decided against it for the same reasons you all have mentioned.

I mean, good GOD...I kept temping for weeks after my BFP, and for what? So I can FREAK out at every fluctuation. Once I stopped, I was way more relaxed. I have a feeling that I'd be the same way with a doppler: addicted to my daily (or twice daily) HB check, then would go all PAL brain when there was anything remotely different.

Jenn...I'm SO sure that your baby is just fine. Please KUP on your upcoming appointment though!

Take care all!

Jen--

Pregnant after Valentine's Day loss

wedding ticker

Jen--

Pregnant after Valentine's Day loss

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-16-2010 - 9:57pm
Thank you Melissa, Tiffany and Jen for your replies! I really do wish I never ordered it.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 10:27am

Hello Jen - I just wanted to give you my experience with the doppler.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 1:41pm
I wanted to make a suggestion about the doppler. Often, the readouts are wrong because baby is moving so it misses counting a beat or two. I would just count the rate yourself--time it for 10 seconds and multiply by 6. You probably will come up with a different number than the display. Anyway, that being said, 120s is fine. The old wives tale is that you're having a boy! So hang in there!

Photobucket

pregnancy calendar

Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 2:05pm

Thanks Sue!

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 4:28pm
Oops! I was on an old work computer earlier that doesn't show any images so I didn't see your ticker lol. I swear I'm not that dense :) Congrats on your boy, they are a lot of fun.

Photobucket

pregnancy calendar

Photobucket
Photobucket