21 week appt. - why do I feel so OLD?

iVillage Member
21 week appt. - why do I feel so OLD?
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 1:31pm

Just got back from my 21 week appointment. All looked good, we heard the heartbeat again, and I even got my nasty orange colored sugar water for the glucose test I will have to take next time. But I have to say that every time I go to the OB, I come out feeling like an old lady. Because I'm 36, they're always talking about the baby's risks for genetic issues. Now I had the full screening which is supposed to identify 95% of Down's (and other issue) babies, and I screened negative. And I really feel this baby is OK. But I can't help it, every time I come out of one of these appointments, I spend an hour Googling Down's syndrome. And I never feel OLD outside of these damn appointments! I mean come on, is 36 really that old?? I know people who are 40 and just trying to have their first baby. My grandmother had 5 babies after age 31, the last one in her early 40's, and never had one with genetic problems.

Thanks for letting me vent!

pregnancy week by week

Melissa - 38

DH - 38

DD - Almost 2!

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 2:12pm

Oh yuck Melissa, Im sorry that the stats and "AMA" warnings are getting to you.

You're NOT old - Dont you know that 36 is the new 26?!

Regardless of how old the calendar says you are, the more important thing is how old you feel inside. Be confident in yourself, your test numbers, and your pregnancy. You WILL be a mother and you WILL have a healthy baby. Keep on believing it :) and I think it will happen.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 3:53pm

Ah, Melissa - this'll sound odd, coming from me, who was just recently obsessing about this very issue...but...

my current OB has never once mentioned anything about genetic issues, my age, health, etc.

- Tiffany

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 4:59pm
LOL you're not old.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 5:05pm

Hi Melissa!

I'm old too! LOL. I'm 37 (had to think about that one) and my numbers came back fine, everything looks great.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 5:44pm

Ladies thank you so much, I feel better already! I think I am starting to calm down a bit now, LOL. I guess i should try not to worry so much but it's hard. I don't have the most reassuring OB, she's very anal but I kind of like her for that. She never misses anything that's for sure.

Adriana - yes I think I've been feeling her for a month or so now, but it's only the last couple of weeks that I've been sure of what it is. And I notice that she seems to have a pattern of sorts - she'll be quite active in the morning between 7-9AM, after lunch between 1-4PM, and then later at night 9-11PM, give or take. How about you?

pregnancy week by week

Melissa - 38

DH - 38

DD - Almost 2!