a happy mom-to-be

iVillage Member
a happy mom-to-be
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 3:16pm
(a long update..)
Hi Ladies,
I am glad to be back from vacation now and able to join you here again with more frequent visits. I hope that the past 2 weeks have been wonderful for all of you and all troubles and worries have disappeared.
We had a fantastic time in Greece (Rhodes island) - amazing sights to see, great weather, good food - but again and again I come to the conclusion that 2 weeks is too long time for me to be on a vacation at one place. Does any of you feel the same way? Seriously, after a week/10 days of sightseeing and short trips around the island, what is there to do? Lying on the beach and reading gets boring after a couple of hours.. And especially with my PAL brain and the coming anatomy scan, I could not take it easy the last few days but had to start doing some small things for work :-)
Finally today, we got to see our little one. Everything looked great (I am so happy!!!!!!!!!!). And even more news - we are having a BOY :-) So this mom-to-be was correct (as Melissa put it) and importantly she was so happy to see all looked good. He was sitting with his head right below my belly button so the belly button was making some funny shadows over the cute little face. The OB had to move him a little to get good measurements :-)
The due date is 7th December and I am looking forward to holding him then, healthy and happy. It would be a dream come true.
About my placenta concerns, it was confirmed that it is anterior but it has moved up so no worries the OB said. This could be why I feel no kicks in the lower belly (Jen, it was so sweet when you wrote you feel your big boy kicking low too). However, I also feel movement around my belly button, nearly every day now for the past 2 weeks (more often like tickling but sometimes light pushes). I would guess from his position that this is the head (moving around, hiccups?) and the arms.
Ah, I am so happy and so grateful to you for letting me share this.
Thank you, Ladies!
Vellia
iVillage Member
In reply to: vellia
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 3:25pm

Aw, Vellia, how wonderful! A little boy... :)

We're glad you're back and that you had a good time on your vacay. Yes, depending on the place, two weeks can be way too long in one spot! I'm glad you scan went well when you got back though. That's so cool that you were right about the sex!

Photobucket

Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 3:42pm

That is sooo great Vellia!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 3:56pm

Great news, Vellia! That's so nice that things are going well and that you're feeling lots of movement. Fun! As for holidays, I think I kinda know what you're talking about... but 2 weeks on a Greek island sounds pretty good to me right now! I could just lie on that beach and read and read and drink cool drinks and not move a muscle. :-)

MamaMedbh

Pregnancy%20ticker
iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 4:08pm

Congratulations, Vellia!

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-15-2010 - 6:07pm

Hi Vellia,

Yay a little boy!! That is so much fun and how cool that you were right about him being a boy!

Oh and I am with you on the 2 week vacation - unless I am touring a whole country and multiple cities, 1 week or so is fine. 2 weeks can get a bit long. I can imagine it felt especially long with your anatomy scan coming up right afterward!

It's so cool to feel them move isn't it? Have you noticed that they have "on" and "off" days? I've noticed this little girl has some days where she can't seem to get enough of socking me in the gut, and other days where she's pretty quiet. Everything I feel is still down below my belly button so I guess she's still sitting pretty low. I knew this long torso would come in handy for SOMETHING, someday. :)

pregnancy week by week

Melissa - 38

DH - 38

DD - Almost 2!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 12:49pm

Welcome home Vellia!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 2:20pm
Welcome back Vellia and congratulations on your successful mommy's intuition about your little boy! I have my anatomy scan on Monday, and while mommy's intuition is telling me "boy", I really don't have a super-strong feeling this time.
Jen--

Pregnant after Valentine's Day loss

wedding ticker

Photobucket
Photobucket
Jen--

Pregnant after Valentine's Day loss

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 3:29pm

Jen,

I just had to say that I have 2 kitties and I feel the same way when I go on vacation! It's one of the reasons I usually don't leave for more than 7-10 days at a time either. I have a sitter who comes and checks on them every day while I'm gone, but she only stays for 20-30 minutes at a time. Isn't it funny how they are almost like kids to us. :)

Melissa

pregnancy week by week

Melissa - 38

DH - 38

DD - Almost 2!

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-16-2010 - 7:41pm
They sure are like our children Melissa! I have never been away for longer than 5 days (of course having someone check on them, feed them, clean the litterbox...) unless I were to physically bring them to my parents' house for a longer trip away and they were comfortable there because one had been my teenage pet and the other lived there temporarily with me while I was in between a live in relationship and buying my apartment.

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-19-2010 - 11:52am

Hi again, Ladies.
Thank you So Much for the warm responses. It is such a joy to be able to share with you, hear your comments and advice. Since my weekend was a little crazy (in a good way) I am taking the time now to make some proper responses.

Kathryn – thank you, hope you are doing well now as you are coming closer to the second trimester

Jenn – it really sounds fun with the hiccups the way you describe it, I can not wait. And you are absolutely correct about how I wish I could speed up the time and come to December already.. Ah, it feels so far away. When we were in Greece we met a family (mom, dad and three kids) and the woman started talking to me when she say my belly and asked when we are due. I answered and then made a comment that it feels like such a loooong wait. She replied immediately with saying ”Oh, but it is the shortest, it´s nothing”. I did not like this at all. It feels terrible when people correct you about the way you feel.. Thank you for saying that it is ok to set up the baby room now. We did start this weekend but of course got some looks already as if we should not be doing this so early.. I think I should just ignore such things and focus DH and this little boy I am carrying. Thanks again, Jenn. I hope you are doing very well. Congratulations on your appointment last week. As I was reading your post I was getting more and more impressed with your ability to control your weight and your nerves. I think I would have started to run around the hallways half nacked asking for my OB. So here is to very happy and healthy (and quick) 4 weeks until the next appointment.

Thanks, MamaMedbh. I understand what you mean about the holidays. There are some periods during which one dreams of an easy vacation with a fresh fruit cocktail on the beach. I hope you have some time to take a break and enjoy a few cold drinks, good book and piece and quiet. It does not have to be in Greece to take pleasure in such small ”getaways” from the daily fuss.

Yvette – how are you? So I think we found a good topic for you to do research on ”two week long vacation and boredom” :-) Sounds like a fun task, doesn´t it? Wish you many opportunities to do this research and all of them with the outcome of ”no boredom after two weeks vacation”.

Melissa – thank you for the nice response. It is cool indeed and honestly, I took me a few days to actually grasp the news. Somehow when you get to know the gender everything seems even more real than it used to be, doesn´t it? For me it is like I have been keeping myself from believing in this pregnancy and the scan last week was like starting a deeper connection between me and the baby. It feels scary but so amazing. You are right about the ”on and off” days for the baby movement, absolutely. Some days they are more frequent, some days they are stronger. I wish I knew how to get more of the ”on” days :-) It is so great that you feel your little girl. By the way I remember reading your post about her position and it reminded me about something I heard – do not know how true it is but they say that taller women tend to have easier deliveries. So it that were true, your body is not only coming in handy for the greatest thing but also making it seem like a not much a of difficult task :-)

Jen – so nice to read from you again. When are you visiting your family? I am with you on the 10 day family visit. I truly love my family but I have learnt to keep the visits down to 5 days. But perhaps these 10 days will go very smoothly and quickly for you. It might be a totally different experience to be around your family now that you are pregnant, there will be so much to talk about. Did you find a sitter for the kitties? They will be probably be bored but 10 days is not very long so I am sure they will be fine and happy to see you when you get back. About the baby kicks – I agree with you, they make my days seem so amazing and I wish I could (as you do) know what makes our boy kick more. Your DH is probably very excited. Mine started to make a mental list of what he sports we will be doing with his boy. It seems like I will have a lot of time for myself ;-)

Jen – thank you and may I say Congratulations to you too on the great news from the anatomy scan and your second boy. Indeed there seems to be something in this mom-to-be intuition.

Many hugs to all,
Vellia