Newbie signing in here

iVillage Member
Newbie signing in here
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 8:05pm
(m, m/c, child ment)

Hi!

I'm Pam and I'm finally pregnant again with a due date of about 12/08. I'm 4w3d today. We've been trying since April 2002 with 2 miscarriages since then. I'm 37 and DH Paul is 50. I'm pretty high risk, but am glad to be here for now (I've been a hopeful lurker for a while now!).

We have a DS (22 months) born at 37 weeks after 5 weeks of bedrest for pre-eclampsia, and 2 angels (5/25/02 at 7w5d and 10/13/02 at 4w5d). Several months ago I pushed my OB to refer me to an RE since we've been TTC #2 for almost a year. He reluctantly agreed, and referred me to an RE who ran some bloodwork for recurrent miscarriages and identified a blood clotting disorder (prothrombin gene mutation) that makes my risk of first trimester miscarriage much higher than that of your average person. It is also associated with pre-eclampsia, IUGR, and all sorts of other pregnancy complications.

I used Clomid for a Clomid challenge this cycle....I got borderline results, but ended up pregnant, so I'm happy! My RE and a hematologist that he referred me to have put me on daily injections of Lovenox (a form of Heparin, which is a blood thinner)...I started giving myself those yesterday and they're not as bad as I feared. I also use progesterone suppositories. I've had two betas drawn...85 on Saturday and 325 yesterday (Monday). I'm pretty happy with those, but they seem high enough to me that I'm wondering if maybe I have twins in there! My RE is going to do an ultrasound on Friday morning to rule out an ectopic pregnancy (which would be a disaster for a person on blood thinners). If he can't see anything Friday, then he'll run more betas and take another look on Monday.

I'm pretty nervous about this pregnancy, since I am at high risk of another miscarriage, but I feel like we've at least discovered a cause for my miscarriages and have taken some action to reduce my risk. I'm just trying to take things one day at a time.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better!

Hugs and Love,

Pam (and little P'nut, still growing strong, for now)

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 9:12pm
Hi Pam! (m, m/c ment)

Welcome to PAL and thank you for sharing your story. Congratulations on being pregnant!!

I think you've come to the right place. While I myself don't have much experience with the issues you describe (other than the pain of miscarriage), I have a feeling you will find many good friends here who can relate to what you're going through. I'm so sorry for your losses and I wish you a happy and healthy 9 months here at PAL. We'll be here to hold your hand throughout.

((hugs))

Catharine

34w3d

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 9:15pm
Congratulations and welcome to PAL! I hope you have a happy and healthy 9 months. I am sending you lots of sticky baby vibes!

Hugs, Lisa (17 weeks today)

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-01-2003 - 10:14pm
Congratulations Pam and Welcome! I hope that everything works out for you and that you have a nice long uneventful stay here!

-janet and connor 17W 6D

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-02-2003 - 1:14pm
Welcome Pam and congrats!

Take care,

Rachel

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-04-2003 - 1:51pm
Congratulations Pam and welcome to PAL. I hope you have a H&H 9 months!

Jeanette and Wiggly edd 9/3/03

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 8:18am
Hi Pam. I'm new too and in the beginning of an at risk pregnancy. I just wanted to say welcome to you and your little P'nut!

Hugs,

Felicia

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-05-2003 - 11:48am
Welcome Pam, and congrats on your pregnancy! Hope your nine months are filled with nothing but happiness and eager anticipation...

-- Laura & Peanut, 5w6d