Questions/comments on the new board?

iVillage Member
Questions/comments on the new board?
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 8:19am
Post any questions, concerns, or comments about the new board format here and we'll try to help you out!

Judie

Judie Cl for Birth Control 

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 12:00pm
Where and how do I post my e-mail address to my new profile? I can't find a place for it. It is on my old profile. Thanks Judie.
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 12:02pm
Judie, How did you go about putting up an actual photo on your profile? Did I miss something?

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 12:55pm
The e-mail address that is used is the one that you originally gave to iVillage when you signed up. If that's not your e-mail address now, go back to a login screen, click "forgot password." In that area, look to the left and you'll see a link similar to "update member information," click that, and you can change your e-mail address. That's the one that will be used by the e-mail link in your profile.

Hope that helps!

Judie

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 12:58pm
No, you didn't miss anything! The community leaders and managers have special avatar privileges (the avatar is what's below your name)--we can upload images. But members have to choose from the avatars that are shown in the "change image" screen when the profile is open for updating.

At this point I'm not aware of a way to put pictures into the new profiles, but I'll keep my eyes peeled, I'm sure this is going to be a common question in the next week as all of the channels start rolling out the new boards! We just happened to be first. :) With Women.com and the Substance channel.

I'm sorry you're not able to put in a picture yet, but if I hear about a way to do it I'll be sure to let you know!

Judie

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 1:31pm
Don't forget to use outline view! It's the fastest way to see what's shown up since you last checked in--under the search box in the big peach box is where you'll find the link! F5 will refresh it, and when you click on a message in the outline it should open in a new window--and you can see how many people have viewed the thread.

And the folders will stop moving around eventually, it's set up now so that the newest post AND its folder move to the top of the board, but we've made an executive decision (the Health cl's) to stop having floating folders, just for our own sanity! And speaking of folders, we're going to modify the ones we have once the dust settles so that they fit our community better. I'm thinking of changing Friday Fives to Member Input and then putting all of the Monday through Friday stuff that I normally ask in there. I hesistate to break up the board into too many folders just because it could be REALLY confusing to newbies! I'm wondering about an "Introduce Yourself" folder, but maybe we don't need that here (more of a discussion board thing, rather than the Q&A that we are).

I'm still open to suggestions!

Judie

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 2:44pm
Thanks Judie... trying the avatars too!
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 3:30pm
Personally, I do not like this new format at all!

I think its completely confusing, but since I love these boards and all the info they have, I dont have any choice but to get used to it.

I did have a quick question, when do these new boards determine when things go into "archives" (since there is not "board archiving" like before) as opposed to being out in the general discussions folder??

There are messages from 2 days ago already in archive?? It is very hard to keep up with such an active board like this if things are going into the "archives" from only 2 days ago.

Is this a work in progress or a setting that can be changed?? Or I am just that confused??

Help!

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 4:11pm
I didn't like it either when I first started using this setup last week! But I promise, it did grow on me! Your reaction is VERY common, I've seen it from myself, other cl's, and other members, and all I can say is hopefully with a little practice you'll begin to appreciate all of the neat things we can do now that we couldn't before!

In the first place, and in response to your question, from today on there is no more archiving! Done! We had to archive last night in order to move to the new format. This new format allows us to hang on to all of the posts and keep them in an active state from here on out, so there will be no more reposting. When a post ceases to be active, it will float below the more active posts, and all it takes to make it active again is to reply to it, which will bump it back up to the top of the board--no more dead topics (which can be a mixed blessing, I think!).

And we can finally search for things! Do you see the search box in the big peach box at the top of the board? You can type in any word from any subject line in this board, including the archives, and all the messages with that word will be displayed for you to look at--no more searching the archives yourself! It's an amazing tool...

Another neat feature is that if you're logged in, the board will keep track of which messages you've read, no matter what computer you're using or how often you delete your cookies. That way you know what you've read, even if there's a whole string of replies, and the next message you see when you click on a partially-read thread is the first one that's new to you.

There's also a pull-down menu to the right of the folder title, allowing you to select certain categories of messages to read (Today's, from 2 days, from 7 days, unread...), which can be handy if you're gone for a while.

For now, the outline view might be the easiest thing for you to navigate--you can see all the replies to the messages listed like on the old board.

Yes, I'm afraid that this is a done deal. The community leaders were told that the format was changing last Wednesday or Thursday, and most of the details were set in stone before we even heard about it. But we were reminded by one of the managers--with 1800 boards and tens of thousands of members, we were stuffed into a canoe--we've upgraded to a cruise ship! We couldn't have stayed with the old format, I'm sure you noticed that it was becoming unstable (posting errors, double posts, board outages)! And that would have only gotten worse.

I hope you give the new format a chance, in a couple of days I bet you feel much better about it! I know I did. Just practice a little and holler when/if you need help! I'll be watching! :)

Judie

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 6:41pm
Truthfully, I don't care for it. I come here for advice at times and I want it to be easier to get in to. This is ridiculous and way to slow to find anything. As far as I'm concerned, I won't be back. I'll find another board a bit easier to get into, with no hassle. Sad too...I enjoyed coming here and reading and getting some advice but now...it's just too hard to get here. The other boards here at iVillage are easy to get to...guess I'm just set in my ways and liked it as it was. "If it ain't broke, why fix it?"

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 8:11am
The system *was* broken. With 1800 boards and 10's of thousands of members, our canoe was splitting at the seams! We have upgraded to a cruise ship with a lot of new features that weren't available before. There will be no more digging through archives to find out where your post went because this format doesn't archive. You can search for topics that you want to read about. You can choose to display only today's message, only messages you haven't read, this week's messages... All of the iVillage boards are changing to this format if they haven't by now, it was something that had to happen. Many of the message boards on the internet are in a format similar to this, it's apparently the latest and greatest in board technology.

If you want something that looks more familiar, try using the outline view. In the big peach box, under the white search box, there's a link called "outline view," this view is similar to what we had with the old format. You can click on the links in there and the messages will come up in a new window. Another option, for threads that have many responses like this one, is to go into the address for the thread, exchange outline.asp for message.asp and tid= for msg= and the thread will pop up all by itself in outline view.

I promise, if you give it a chance, you'll get the hang of it! Feel free to ask for help ANY time, I've been using this format for almost a week and I'm really comfortable answering questions about it.

I'm sorry you're unhappy with the new format, but we can't go back to the old one! I hope you do decide to give it another chance.....

Judie

Pages