RE: Archived - Nuvaring and Sex

iVillage Member
RE: Archived - Nuvaring and Sex
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 8:21am
Here's the original post.

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-bhcontracept&msg=7864.2

I do have a correction to angelz21's response. The ring can be out of the vagina for a TOTAL of three hours the whole cycle, not three hours each time it is removed.

And to the original poster, I have felt the ring a couple of times, but DH doesn't. You might try moving it around a little and see if there isn't a place where it doesn't interfere.

Take care,

Julie

Julie, mom to Grace (2/17/02)

ParentsPlace CL for: 

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 1:54pm
According to a message from nuvaringgirl which was posted a few boards back when we were all talking about this, she had called Organon and they told her that it could be taken out for up to 3 hours at a time. She asked if she could do taht everyday, and they said "sure, as long as it is in for 24 hours straight between the times that it is taken out, and when it is out, it is out for no longer than 3 hours." I took special notice of this because I was wondering myself. I'm sure that if you searched the archives you could find this post. You can always call Organon and ask them yourself!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-26-2003 - 7:57am
We had a member call Organon, they said 3 hours at a time. Julie is going with what she was told by Walgreens, they said 3 hours per cycle. As far as my information from Osco, they don't indicate one way or the other. It's up to the user to determine what she's comfortable with OR to contact her physician, pharmacist, or Organon.

I can't make personal calls from work unless they're absolutely necessary, I highly doubt my superviser would appreciate me sitting on hold with Organon! ;)

Judie

Judie Cl for Birth Control 
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 10:36pm
If that is true about only 3 hrs per MONTH...that is CRAZY, and makes no sense. I only stated 3 hrs at a time bc thats what someone else stated who called ovocon (sp?) and they specifically asked, and the company said 3hrs at a time. If it was only 3 hrs a MONTH.....it seems like they wouldn't tell u it was an option to take it out at all during sex. Unless u r one of those few people who have sex once a month. Most people have it more, and it seems like they would be in trouble if they said it could be taken out during intercourse, which would technically make it ineffective if u r having sex more than 2ce a month. Generally the average is 1- a few times a week. Adding up to aprox 4-9X a month, which of course would be over the 3 hr limit. I'm confused too. I hope someone can find some real info about this. B/c this wouldn't be an option for me if it's only 3 hrs for an entire cycle/month. We need to find out for sure! What if u call them Judie, since u r the CL and all. People will believe you. Thanks ~M
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 6:14pm
How do you know that the ring can only be out a total of 3 hors during the cycle? Where did you hear/read this. I feel like my only option is to take it out because my bf freaks out if he feels it and I am self concious of it as well
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 8:50am
My patient information from Walgreen's said three hours per cycle, so that's what I go by. The patient information that comes with the ring is rather vague on how often removal can occur without impacting effectiveness.

JMHO.

Julie, mom to Grace (2/17/02)

ParentsPlace CL for: 

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 8:38am
I tried searching for it and can't find it, but we did have a member who called Organon, and they said that the ring could be out for less than three hours any time in the cycle, it's not just three hours per cycle.
Judie Cl for Birth Control