e.p.t. failure ?

iVillage Member
e.p.t. failure ?
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 9:13am
Good Morning everyone - Lucky for me I woke up with cramps this morning. :) I had been stressing about getting pregnant while on the pill (OTC) even though I take it at 9:30 a.m. every morning. In the summer I had bought an e.p.t. pack because I had a 5 day late period (I used to be on a 31-never-late cycle before I started OTC in August of 2002). I took the test and it came back saying I was not pregnant. I still had the second "stick" in the pack. I was supposed to get my period today (I usually get it the day of the third green pill in the pack) - and I did (acutally it started last night even). So I suppose there is no real reason to worry . . . but since I've "heard those horror stories" of women who got their period while pregnant, I wanted to take the test again to see for sure. The box expiration date is 3/2004, so I didn't see why I couldn't use it. (This is the e.p.t. pregnancy test - it is light purple in color. One line means you aren't pregnant, 2 lines means you are. You can take it as soon as you miss your period and any day thereafter.You are to wait 3 min. before moving - read it no later then 20 min. after you've taken the test.) Anyway, I took the test when I got up this morning even though I had my period. No lines ever showed up in either little window on the "stick" (I watched for 25 min.) . . . any one else ever experienced this? Is it worth it to go buy another test for $15 (*Note: College student= Zero dollars right now!) or should I be fine? Because even the tests can't claim to be 100% right all the time. Ok, sorry for the long post. Thank you for any help!

Leigh Anne :)
iVillage Member
In reply to: lap7
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 9:31am
If you didn't get a control line, it's a faulty test. You should have gotten one line for certain, pregnant or not to prove the test works. Obviously if the test doesn't show the control line, it won't show a second line either.

If you really want to take a test, you ought to get another. I remember money being tight in college, but your sanity is worth something too. If it will keep you from fretting for the next few months it might be worth it. However, just to let you know, it's extremely rare to get pregnant and still have a period, so odds are very much in your favor that you are not pregnant.

Just my two cents,

Julie

Julie, mom to Grace (2/17/02)

ParentsPlace CL for: 

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 9:58am
you got your period and you're on the pill, right?

what are you worried about again?

sorry, i don't mean to be insensitive, but i think you are totally ok.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-25-2003 - 12:36pm
Thank you for your help :)