Surprise She's here!!!!

iVillage Member
Surprise She's here!!!!
Tue, 10-07-2008 - 11:04pm

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been online for awhile and kinda disappeared after I announced I was pregnant on the board.

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-08-2008 - 8:21am

Hi Rhonda,

Congratulations on the birth of your little girl! I know how overwhelming a NICU stay can be. It's scary and exhausting in so many ways! And other people...they understand that the baby is in the NICU but they have no idea how emotional that is. After experiencing a big bout of PPD when Lily was in, a friend of mine told me yesterday that 65% of women experience some sort of PPD or depression in general. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. Be it at home or just helping you get back and forth from the hospital. People want to help, they just don't know how...and like I said, most people 'get' helping physically. It's just everything else they have trouble with.

My Lily was born at 31w5d and she was only there for 3 weeks. It sounds like Katherine is doing fantastic!! I'm so proud of her for gaining so much weight!! Yay! It's amazing how excited you get for every little ounce!

Something, also, that I struggled with and I don't even think 'regular' NICU mom's can understand is that even though I rationally knew that Lily was there and alive, I was still leaving the hospital empty handed. I had a lot of trouble discerning the two in my heart even though my head knew rationally that she was ok. I think that had to do in large with the depression. I relived those moments when I left with a box of Dylan's things and a bag with Riley's things. When I started to get down on myself, my cousin who had a 26 weeker said to me, "The notion that mother's know exactly what to do is b.s. That's NOT what makes a good mother. A good mother is one who is willing to learn to do all the things that her baby needs in order to make him/her happy. A good mother is one that puts her life on hold to tend to the needs of her child whether at home or in the hospital." She also said to 'let go' of the perfect birth story and the perfect circumstances because sometimes it just doesn't happen. She's also lost two boys. So when I gave myself permission to 'let go' of all those things, I felt so much better and I could concentrate soley on Lily. With that said, I'm headed to the OB right now for my PP checkup and I'm armed angrily with tons of questions...*sigh* some things you just can't let go of...

Anyway, please post some pictures when you can! I would love to see her!! Congrats again and I hope that you have a short stay. If you need anything or have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Also the Preemie board here is excellent!! They answered all of my questions and concerns there without flinching.

Lots of luck and love to you!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-08-2008 - 8:42am
Congratulations! It sounds like your little girl is strong and gaining weight well!
I will keep you both in my prayers, especially for having Katherine home for Chrismtas.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 10-08-2008 - 9:19am

Congrats on your little one ~:)

Great news that she is doing so well.. I will send positive thoughts and prayers for her continued health and strength and to grow grow grow!

Lots of Love,
~Jess

Photobucket

pregnancy

Photobucket

~Jess 

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-08-2008 - 5:27pm

Congratulations Rhonda,

tons of best wishes for both of you! I so hope she will be home for Christmas. Glad to hear she is doing so great. Welcome to the world Katherine!!!

Veronika

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-10-2008 - 8:43pm
Sending you lots of prayers for the continued health of your little princess.
Photobucket