Nuvaring-delaying period

iVillage Member
Nuvaring-delaying period
Fri, 04-08-2005 - 8:41pm

I would like to delay my period by leaving my Nuvaring in an extra week. I know this is alright to do, but I am wondering how many people have had success in doing this.

When I was on OTC-Lo, I tried to delay it a week by taking an extra row of week 3 pills, and it delayed it about 3 days. Will I get about the same results with the Nuvaring?

Also, what will happen if I leave in my current ring for 4 weeks, then immediately insert a new ring? This would be ideal for me, since I would like my period to come between 4-7 days late this cycle, but I do not want it to be delayed for my next cycle. The time it is originally scheduled to come for my next cycle worked well for me, so I don't want delaying this cycle to change that. Sorry if my writing doesn't make sense.

Thanks for your input.

Edited 4/8/2005 9:18 pm ET ET by ashmes
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-09-2005 - 6:08am

Hi,

I just tried this and took my ring out on Friday after 4 weeks. I expect my period to come on Monday, so that would be right on schedule. During that extra week, Ididn't have any problems, no spotting or any of that kind.

You could put in a new ring right after those 4 weeks, however

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-10-2005 - 1:27am
I don't mind eventually getting a period, I just want it to come late. For others who have done this, how late did it usually come? If it's a week or two late, and there's no spuratic spotting thought the month, I wouldn't mind.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-10-2005 - 4:19am

well if you leave the ring in for 4 weeks, your period will probably arrive on the day it comes when you take it out after 3 weeks, only a week later of course. What you can do is, leave the ring in for 3 weeks and a couple of days, and then take it out. That way you shift your cycle.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-11-2005 - 7:49am

There's no guarantee as to when you'll start bleeding if you do 4+3 or 4+4.

Judie Cl for Birth Control 
iVillage Member
Tue, 04-12-2005 - 12:39am
Hi everyone, thanks for your comments. I've decided to leave the ring in for four weeks, then take it out for a week. If all goes well, I think I will continue to wear it for four weeks all the time to save money and get less periods. I will let you guys know how it goes.