Summer Reading

iVillage Member
Summer Reading
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 12:03pm
Hello! It's been great to wander through the posting for summer reading suggestions. I used to be able to be on the board daily but I changed jobs a couple of years ago so having time to cruise the net was something I had to give up.

My name is Terri, and I live in Washington State (just east of Seattle). I have an almost 12-yo daughter and husband who is still fighting God's call. I work for the local school district so want to find some good Christian books for summer reading. My ulterior motive is that I'm putting my church's summer book groups together and need some suggestions!

Our first book will be "Redeeming Love" but I want to have a variety of genres ~ the idea is to introduce Christians to the wonderful world of fiction. So many times we focus on studies or growth books. I'd like to show them what else is out there. I would like to use Peretti's "This Present Darkness" but am wondering if it's too "dark" ~ I lent it to a friend once and she said it was too scary. I've read "The Visitation" too ~ any other mystery-type novels you can suggest?

I'd like the 3rd book to be a more general type, I'm really drawn to C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters" (loved that discussion here a couple of years ago), but am thinking I should modernize with Randy Alcorn's "Lord Foulgrin's Letters". I think Lewis' message is bit more subtle (and better written), what do you all think? I also read Alcorn's "Deadline" thinking it might be a good book group choice. But while his anti-abortion message is a good one, I felt it got a bit overdone at times.

Any suggestions/comments would be welcome! While my church usually only does book groups in the summer, we are looking at carrying them over into a full year program. So I'll take all the help I can get. I plan to be a more familiar face on the board =)

Blessings to you, Terri

iVillage Member
In reply to: wamomofone
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 8:31pm
Thanks to all for the recommendations, sounds like Terri B. is the mystery writer to read! I have read The Hiding Place and was thinking about that one for fall or winter.

Thanks, too, for your thoughts on Peretti ~ good points. This will be the 4th year we've done summer book groups. The first year we did non-fiction, then we focused on Francine Rivers' Linage of Grace series. This year I want to expand the selection a bit and move it forward into a full year program.

Generally we only advertise the groups within out church body, but I am going to encourage women to invite non-church going friends ~ hopefully this will be a successful outreach program. We have frank, Christ-based discussions and I think it will be great to hear non-Christians point of views on Christian fiction.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-05-2003 - 3:04pm
Welcome back Terri! We will be thrilled to have you on our home board more often over the next few months. I didn't read the other posts yet so I hope that I don't duplicate the authors that I am recommending. I think that Terri Blackstock is a great "mystery" author. I know that Ruth is a big fan of Randy Alcorn, but I've yet to be able to get into one of his books. I also enjoy CS Lewis, but have you thought about doing a biography, like Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom. This is an excellent Christian Classic to add to your reading list. I'll think about it and try to make some more recommendations as I keep thinking. Check back for more from me.

How do you do your book discussions? As for Peretti, I wouldn't think it would be for everyone, because before I was really living my life for the Lord I totally did not "get" that book. I was a church going Christian, but it was way to hard for me. Just FYI.

Stacey

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 4:37pm
Hi Terri! Welcome to the board. I read "Trial by Fire" and "Blind Trust" is on my TBR list. Both novels are written by Terri Blackstock.

I hope this is helpful.

Have a great day!

Carrie

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-04-2003 - 2:28pm
Hey, welcome back!

For mystery, I would recommend Terri Blackstock (911 Series) or Stephen Bly (I've read two of the Austin-Stoner Files books).

I haven't tried any of Randy Alcorn's books, but I did enjoy "The Screwtape Letters." It can be hard to follow, though - "The Four Loves" and "Surprised by Joy" are the Lewis books I remember more fondly...

I'll put my thinking cap on for more Christian books, and see what Stacey and the others can recommend.

Becca :)

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com