***Tuesday Talk****

iVillage Member
***Tuesday Talk****
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 2:27pm
Sooo... Who here has kids getting out of school this month? Are you ready for summer vacation? What do you do with the kids to keep them busy in the summer months. Do you have a reading program that they belong to? Do you have vacation plans?

What's up for your summer?

Stacey

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-20-2003 - 3:56pm
No kids here, so summer at my place actually tends to begin with the end of the university exams. That means it's May to August! (Though if I were speaking technically, it's June 21 till September 23 - no matter what the weather is like!)

Lemme see, what am I looking forward to? My birthday is in three weeks, so I better start planning how to celebrate! One thing I want to do for myself is check with the local bookstores for a book called "Self-Editing for Fiction Writers." If I can't get it locally, I'll have to find a way to order online. (I don't have a credit card, so I haven't made online purchases in a while!)

Other than that, I'll keep an ear open for church events, and shift my schedule for walking to earlier morning or just before sunset. ('Cause it could be a hot summer!) Oh yeah, I also have to plan a birthday package to send to hubby - his birthday is a month after mine.

Maybe once my truck is fixed, I could take a drive one Sunday afternoon to the Bay of Fundy. My mum would love it if I took some photos for her... I only have room for one passenger, but I'm sure it would be more fun than going solo! (Or I could propose the trip to one of the church people who has a car or van, then pitch in gas money...)

That's a "short" preview of my summer. Basically, work with some fun activities thrown in!

Becca :)

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-21-2003 - 12:37pm
My oldest dd will finish kindergarten in June. I am going to work on getting all of the kids reading more and watching tv less in the summer. The library had a reading program last summer, we might take part in, but I am going to make a chart for each kid to keep track of what books we read. I'm going to offer a treat at the end.

I don't know if I've told you all about my kids, so here they are: Antonia just turned 6, Hope is 4, and John will be 2 in July.

Sandra

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-21-2003 - 3:31pm
Hi Sandra, my kids are the same age as yours with 1 additional boy 15.

We are going on a driving vacation to Las Vegas to visit family and will stop in arizoa, NM and various other stops.

I am also doing swimming lessons and plan to have at least 1 art type project a day. Probably will go to museum or zoo 1 time per week. Plus Library day. That is a standard throughout the year.

Charity

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-22-2003 - 12:08pm
Sandra,

a reading program for the kids sounds fun. Three kids! You must stay very busy during the summer! What sort of reward will you give them at the end of the summer? I wish that I would have a reward for when I read! That sounds great.

Thanks for sharing about your kids. Hope you all have a great summer!

Stacey

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-23-2003 - 9:07am
The girls both like Bratz dolls and Mary Kate and Ashley dolls, so I'm thinking I'll tell them the reward for reading books this summer will be a new doll. It would be fun to get a treat for reading, wouldn't it!

Sandra

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-30-2003 - 10:26am
I thought I was the only one! I am so hoping to get my 9 YO to read this summer that I promised her an outfit from Limited Too if she reads 10 books this summer (don't tell her this, but I'll carry out my promise for at least attempting).

K.