Early Period, on Alesse

iVillage Member
Early Period, on Alesse
Fri, 10-07-2005 - 8:05pm

I've been on Alesse for a little over a year and a half now and I had gotten my period (or what seemed to be my period) before starting my sugar pills...About 5-6 active pills early. I've had no problems with Alesse so far.

It started off very light (a light brownish color) and now I'm bleeding regularly. So it seems like I bled straight into my period...I'm now on my 4th day of sugar pills/pill free days. So I've pretty much had my "period" for a week now.

I went to the clinic today and was speaking to the nurse...and to put me at ease, I took a pregnancy test and it came up negative, to my relief. However, it covers me for up til 2 weeks ago...and one of the weeks of which I pretty much had my "period". So I'm fine, right??

Has anyone else had this happen to them before? I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear. It just bothers me when things are out of whack, I get really worried. The nurse said that maybe I need to switch to a higher dosage pill but to keep on Alesse for another month and see what happens.

Any advice or explanations would be much appreciated!

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-07-2005 - 8:53pm

Hi rissi_pieces, welcome!

If you have the same sort of early bleeding during the next several cycles the nurse may be right and your body has changed enough that your pill can no longer keep your endometrium stable for the 3 weeks of your active pills. But, there are other things that can cause irregular bleeding. Where you late with a pill or pills just before you began bleeding or have you changed your lifestyle; exercise, diet, medicines or supplements in the last few weeks? Your early bleeding may be a one time thing or it could be the start of a pattern. If you have been taking your pills correctly you shouldn't worry about your protection being reduced. We have posts in our FAQs about irregular bleeding and taking your pills correctly if you are interested. Please come back and let us know how you're doing, ok?

Good luck,

Jill

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-08-2005 - 4:13pm

I'm in the exact same situation, only I'm on the Patch. I've been on it for almost 2 years & haven't had any problems. I should be getting my period this coming Tuesday... but I've had it since Sunday! A whole week early & I still have it! And it started just like yours... very light at first and now it's regular bleeding. I'm hoping it's just because I've been under a lot of stress lately & for about a week was only eating soup & popsicles (I pierced my tnogue & couldn't eat anything else & I read that major changes to your diet can cause irregular bleeding).
I don't really have any answers for you, just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

~M~

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-08-2005 - 5:23pm

Thanks guys...

It's good to know I'm not alone!

pmbaybeegirl - see lately, I haven't been getting enough sleep and I've been eating junk food like crazy...so that could be it..hehe. - or part of it anyway.

Thanks cl-dancer31 and pmbaybeegirl for your replies :) I hope it's just a one time thing and that i'm normal next cycle. It's happened to me once before, so I think I should be okay. Just as long as I actually get my period, that's the important thing, right!

- Larissa