reading something different today

iVillage Member
reading something different today
Sun, 05-25-2003 - 3:47pm
I decided a while ago that I wanted to read the Harry Potter books, to see for myself what they are like. I know a lot of christians are totally against them, and I was putting them down as well. But I had nothing to base my opinion on, just what others said. I read the first one months and months ago, and just now am reading the second. I guess they are pretty popular at the library, and I want to read them in order. Dh and I also watched the first movie to see what it was like.

I'm not really ready to form much of an opinion as to if they are right or wrong for christians to read. Maybe they are for some, not for others; I think a lot of it is the individual. Anyway, I can see why the books are so popular with kids, but we aren't going to let our kids read them - not for now anyway. I get a kick out of reading it, it makes me feel like a kid again!

I just wondered if anyone else has read any and what do you think.

Sandra

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-25-2003 - 8:17pm
I'm a Harry Potter fan. Read the four books, seen both movies... Can't wait until I can borrow the fifth book from my library. So, obviously, I don't have a problem with the stories!

Becca :)

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-26-2003 - 1:04am
I love the Harry Potter books!!!! I own the first four and have seen both the movies. I actually stood in line at midnight when the fourth book came out just so that I could read it right away!!! I have also heard christian say they don't like the books. But my opinion is that I am an adult, I know the difference between reality and ficton and these books are written very well. You can form great pictures in your mind as you are reading along and they keep you captivated throughout the whole entire book. So my vote for all the Harry Potter books and movies is 2 thumbs up!!!

God Bless You All

~Jen~

Anne
iVillage Member
Mon, 05-26-2003 - 9:24am
I have also read all four of them and I enjoyed them. I do not think there is anything wrong with Christian adults reading them and probably most kids. The fourth one seemed a little too violent to me so when my kids are old enough I would have to evaluate whether they should read it or not. There may be some kids out there who should not read them but for the most part I think they are ok. I thought they were entertaining but not great literature so if I homeschool, I would not let them be part of the curiculum as some schools are. They would have to be free time reading. :-)

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-26-2003 - 9:51am
Good point there about the difference between required reading for school and free-time reading. Once I got to high school, I learned that much of what was required reading wasn't worth my time, but thankfully no one was forcing it before my eyes when I got home; in fact, my mum fed me a steady diet of Christian books! :) I think that's one of the reasons I like the idea of home-schooling - you probably have greater control over what is being taught. (Hubby would be worried about possible isolation, so our kids will likely be in the public school system.)

Becca

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com