Tuesday Talk- book talk

iVillage Member
Tuesday Talk- book talk
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 2:31pm
What are you reading these days? I've got to get to the library. I tried to read a Bodie Thoene book, The first in the Zion Chronicles but I couldn't get into it at all. I've attempted this author before and have never gotten into the books. I have Leota's garden to keep me company after I get my work done today.

I'm looking forward to reading the 5th Harry Potter. I've got to re read the 4th one I think to keep up. I have read some reviews that say it's a good one... if you like Potter books.

Which I do.

Anyway, what are you reading, or hoping to read?

Stacey

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 2:43pm
I'm reading "The Diamond Throne," a fantasy novel by David Eddings. After that, there's "And The Shofar Blew." When the pastor's wife is finished with it, there's "True Valor."

I'm looking forward to "The Order of the Phoenix" as well. My m-i-l bought it for hubby, so I'll be able to read it when he comes home. (BTW, the edition sold in the U.S. has about 100 pages more than in Canada. Wonder if the publisher felt that some terms needed to be explained more for American readers?)

Not sure what to read after all those novels!

Becca :)

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-01-2003 - 2:53pm
I've read a lot lately! Let's see if I can remember them;

1. Midwives (I liked the book overall, there were some parts I skipped over, the subject fascinated me, left me wondering)

2. Harry Potter #3 & #4 (I'm loving HP!)

3. And the Shofar Blew (this was very good!)

4. One Tuesday Morning, Karen Kingsbury (This was heart wrenching. It's about 2 families whose lives were changed on Sept 11. I dreamed about this book when I finished it, that's how much it affected me, reading about that day and the aftermath)

To read, I have Steal Away, by Linda Hall, A Time to Embrace, by Karen Kingsbury, and Word of Honor, by Terri Blackstock. I tried a Bodie Thoene book a while ago, the first of the Jeruslalem series, and I couldn't get into it either. I did read Shiloh Autumn, by the same author(s?) and liked it.

Sandra

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-02-2003 - 1:39am
Good Evening Everyone -

I am reading "Spring Rain" by Gail Roper. It is good so far. Although I am not that far into it. Right now I am on a really slow reading time for me. I have about 20 books on my "To Be Read" shelf that I want to get to. And of course, now "The Order of the Phoenix" Harry Potter Book 5 is out and I can't wait to read that!!! I love Harry Potter!!! They are such great books!!!

God Bless Ya All

~Jen~

Anne
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-02-2003 - 11:01am
Sandra You've really got me hooked on Karen Kingsbury as well. Did you find the book disturbing? I haven't read it, but don't know that I want to be dreaming about a book when I'm finished...you know what I mean?

Thanks for sharing what you're reading, it's always good to see you around.

Stacey

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-02-2003 - 11:24am
hey there!!!

I'm actually reading a non-fiction right now - "Paris to the Moon" by Adam Gopnik. Too early to tell what I think just yet....

On another subject, I'm fascinated by all you Harry Potter readers! Just because I've been on the outside looking in (I haven't read any of the books) - what's all the scuffle with christians thinking this series is all about witchcraft and stuff??? I trust the bookshelf's opinions and would love to know what all the fuss is about!!!

Fill me in......I did see the first Harry Potter movie on HBO some time ago - I did like it, need to rent the second one.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-02-2003 - 11:41am
Just want to state right away that this is not an invitation to bring out your judging caps! I've seen how easily things can get out of hand when J.K. Rowlings' books are mentioned among Christians. We are all entitled to our opinions, and no one should feel judged unfairly because they admit they like or dislike a certain genre.

That stated, I personally think that most children and adults can distinguish between a fantasy novel and the real world. They aren't going to start delving into the occult simply because they enjoy the characters in the Harry Potter series.

At the same time, it is wise to keep one's thoughts on higher things. I find this difficult to do when it comes to entertainment - most of the best books and movies are not Christian. Sometimes all we lack is the money, and I'm sad to say that at times it is the talent.

If you liked the movies, you will find the books even more descriptive and alive. It's up to you, however, and I'll think nothing less of anyone who stays away from Harry Potter.

Becca

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-02-2003 - 4:55pm
I think the most disturbing thing about the book was that you know this tragic event really happened. There is one scene that is very emotional, a group of people in one of the towers as they realize it's falling and they are going to die. They say their goodbyes to each other and then all pray out loud. Karen said that was a hard scene to write, and she imagined it was just as hard to read. It was well done, but so sad, and I kept going back to re-read it.

The book itself wasn't disturbing, it was well done and respectful of the events that happened and people that were involved. She even changed the name of the fire department out of respect. It's just that it makes you realize the awfulness of what happened on Sept. 11, all the people that died. Since the book is about a firefighter, I think what affected me the most was knowing that the rescue workers went right in the building to help people, but it didn't matter, because those that didn't get out in time were doomed, right along with them. They couldn't save them, and they couldn't save themselves, either. They are truly heroes.

I'm glad you're liking Karen, I have to say she's definately my favorite author. I've been so busy lately, I just haven't much computer time. It's nice to get involved in discussions again.

Sandra

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-03-2003 - 11:13am
couldn't agree more Becca....I absolutely don't want to start a debate of any kind - I just felt out of the loop on the whole thing!

:)

thanks for your thoughts too!!!!

-kerry