Tuesday Talk!

iVillage Member
Tuesday Talk!
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 12:48pm
Good Morning Everyone. I'm not seeing many people on board this week. I wonder if we've lost some to vacation!

Today's Tuesday Talk is television related. I'd like to know if anyone else is sick of reality television. Last night I was flipping channels and caught some of that Love or money show. Were those people made of wood or what?? I can't believe that show is on television!! So frustrated with the lame quality, but I guess that I don't have to watch and I didn't. But there is part of me that likes some of the reality shows. I know I've watched Big Brother in the past, but feel like I need to stay away from that show this season, just think it's probably going down the wrong road for me. I need to find something else to do with my evenings. Mark and I are watching the Amazing Race, but that seems fun compared to the other shows.

What do you watch and what do you think? My commments are in no way meant to judge others viewing habits, I just wanted to talk about it. Hope I didn't offend by saying I didn't like Love or Money :-(

Stacey

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 1:19pm
LOL - any more it seems like if it isn't on Food Network or HGTV, I haven't seen it! I watched a couple minutes of maybe two shows of the Joe Millionaire (simply because I couldn't believe the premise of that show), other than that I haven't watched any "reality" TV. My life is reality enough for me - I just have to watch people here at work if I want entertainment!

I will catch CSI (the original, haven't seen the Miami one) and maybe Everybody Loves Raymond, but neither faithfully. I never have been a big TV person, though. I had a coworker who was horrified to find out that I didn't even have a TV when my husband and I first got married (over 14 years ago, now). We didn't have the money for one right away, so I gladly went without. And I have threatened to unplug the one we have so my children won't spend so much time in front of it.

K.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 2:46pm
Okay, TV addict checking in! ;)

I never thought I'd be a fan of reality shows, but I do watch some of them now. "Amazing Race" is my favourite. I'll be watching "Canadian Idol" again tonight (I can finally vote, since it's in Canada!) and since hubby likes "Big Brother" I'll want to keep track of what's going on. I'm not sure that I'll be so happy about another "Survivor" series, though - the Amazon one was disappointing. (Missed the first season and most of the second, but I'd say that Africa was the best one.)

My *general* rule: reality TV isn't that real - or worth the time. There are a few exceptions, though, as with most man-made rules! ;)

Becca :)

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-08-2003 - 8:12pm
I haven't seen much tv lately. For the last year we did not get any of the major networks due to our sattlite dish set-up. I certainly did not miss the reality shows. I watched about half a season of survivor and that is about it. I did miss ER, Friends, The practice and everybody loves Raymond. I also enjoy law and order but I can get repeats of that on cable. Also I liked 24 the first season but don't know if I would like the second anyway. Also I was getting more disgusted with friends as they slept around so much. It was funnier when none of them could get dates I guess- and less immoral.

I am very much out of the habit of watching tv and it has been good for me so I don't plan to get back into it too much. Maybe just a few of my favorites. One thing I hope to do is when the baby comes tape (PVR) the shows I like and then I am able to watch them while I am nursing. That way I am not stuck watching game shows or soap operas while nursing.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2003 - 12:57am
Hi

I watched one epsode of Survivor when it first came on the air. I have watches a few American Idols just to see what the fuss was about. If I watch anything it is ER and Law and Order. When Brat wants to watch TV I have him choose a DVD, I have about 4 channels that come in and have been finding my self more and more renting movies. I can choose better quality stuff than what is on TV.

In fact my son, because I have been looking for the old movies to watch is enjoying Danny Kay movies. We just got the COURT JESTER, and if you have never seen that movie go out and try to find a copy it is the funniest thing.

Steph

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-09-2003 - 8:00am
I think I've only seen Danny Kaye in "White Christmas" and then a movie about Hans Christian Andersen. He's awesome in the first, IMO.

I used to watch a lot of old movies. Should get back into it, even though hubby's not interested in 'em!

Becca :)

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com