Tuesday Trivia....

iVillage Member
Tuesday Trivia....
Tue, 07-15-2003 - 1:30pm
Well it's sort of trivia about you and where you live. I am just wondering what you think the best thing is about living where you live? Oh, and will you remind us of where it is you live- be as specific as you are comfortable with ok? I have lived in Phoenix, AZ for 7 years this summer and I think the best thing about living in Phoenix is all of the sunshine that we get year round. The summer is too hot, but November thru June are wonderful. I can hike anyday during those months and it's fun to be in a place with such nice weather. I remember living in Missouri, when you got a nice day- it was rare- you were so depressed if you had to work or go to school. It might be the only nice day for weeks. That was always bothering me about living there.

I like the state of AZ as well. We have lots to see and do here- in Nature and otherwise.

Stacey

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2003 - 3:41pm
Hey! I'm back in the loop again.....work has been quite busy - so sorry for being away....

Good trivia question Stacey! Get ready for a heavy dose of education on where I live!

Let's see - I live in northwest Arkansas (since September of 2001)and it is a very interesting place to be honest! It's called "northwest Arkansas" because it's made up of several cities that all flow together but have very distinct city differences (Fayetteville, Springdale, Siloam Springs, Rogers-Lowell, Bentonville and Bella Vista). The area is 3 hours south of Kansas City, two and a half hours northwest of Little Rock, one and a half hours east of Tulsa, Okla. and three hours northeast of Oklahoma City.

First and foremost, it is beautiful here. We have lots of rolling hills, (known as the "Boston Mountains")trees, rivers, streams and lakes.

Second, the area is home to the University of Arkansas, Wal*Mart Corporate Headquarters, Tyson Chicken Corporate Headquarters, J.B. Hunt Trucking Corporate Headquarters and even Dayspring Cards Corporate Headquarters (interesting for those of us who shop regularly in christian book stores). So, needless to say we have very low unemployment, lots of overcrowded roads and TONS of construction going on all the time.

I would say the best thing about this area for someone who is female, christian, well-traveled, and married is the small town feel with a big city influence (due to all the big-wig corporate execs).

I could go on and on with trivia about the area, but hopefully this answers the basics!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2003 - 4:56pm
I live in Fredericton, New Brunswick (http://www.city.fredericton.nb.ca). I like the trails downtown, the public library (also downtown), and Odell Park (closer to my place). I also like watching the St. John River. (I grew up near a river, so the water fascinates me...)

And this is where I want to live: Castlegar, British Columbia (http://www.castlegar.com). I grew up there and want to return once hubby has finished university. In "Castlebush" (silly name hubby and I use for our hometown), I like Zuckerberg's Island, the mountains all around the area, and the rivers!

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2003 - 6:10pm
Hey Kerry! Thanks for all the info. It sounds like a wonderful place to be. I'm used to this big city-5th largest in the nation!- but I miss a smaller place, like St. LOuis sometimes as well. Plus I just miss the green!!

Thanks!

Stacey

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2003 - 8:45pm
I live in the Dallas area. First, I really love the people here. They are so friendly and family oriented. It's not unusal to see 3 or 4 generations in a family doing things together. Age is respected here, and it was the complete opposite in the area of California where I grew up. I love the whole wild west/cowboy thing. The rodeo, the ranches, the fact that businessmen really do wear cowboy hats. I love that there are so many ministries here and I can take advantage of going to their seminars. I also like that in 3 hours I can visit mountains or Austin or Oklahoma or Arkansas. Even though I'm not fond of the heat, I like the fact that there are seasons here. I like to go to Ft. Worth because it has some great art galleries and museums, a huge zoo and Japanese Gardens. I'll end by saying I've been to two "Stars on Ice" tours and got to see Scott Hamilton in his farewell tour, that was a definite plus to living here!

~Ruth

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-15-2003 - 9:45pm
I live in North Central Florida, near a college town called Gainesville where the University of Florida is located. (they're known for a lot of medical stuff) It's not like Miami where it stays hot all year round. At times in the winter you will freeze in 20-30 degree weather, and the next day it's back up in the 70's. It's been running 95-100. I live out in the country. They're are lots of green fields, a few rolling hills with cows dotting them, and the brown Santa Fe river (tannic acid fromthe leaves makes it an Amber brown color). A small town I live near by lives off of tourists who go to the Springs to swim. One good thing about FL is you take it for granted that you can make a day trip down to Theme Parks in Orlando or Tampa or up to Valdosta. (If you have the money! :)
iVillage Member
Wed, 07-16-2003 - 8:45am
Hi Stacey

I lived for eight years in Tucson, and miss it. Now I live in Springfield MA. We are a two hour drive west of Boston. To be honest the only thing I like about here are the trees. I live very close to ponds, lakes, and the Connecut River, but you cannot play or fish in them they are to badly poluted. When I look out my window I see houses that have been abandond, the windows on the upper floors broken out, the lower windows boraded up. The streets here are in such disreperar that many places have weight restriction, and that is not enforced. Most of the people that I have meet here have a strange veiw on the world. When I tell people that I drive to see my aunt in Easthampton they cannot belive that I would go that far out of my way (it is 20 miles and 30 min to drive) I live 10 miles from the Connetcut border and most people who live here have never gone there it is a diffrent state. When I tell people that I am going to NM or AZ or OR for a few weeks they cannot belive that anyone in their right mind would travel out of a 5 mile radious from home.

So my advice is not to come here, things are dirty, people litter and then it is never cleaned up. There is no pride in home or buisness.

Sorry that this is such a bad report. I have lived in WA, OR, MI, AZ, AL and I have to say the only good thing about here is the trees.

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-16-2003 - 2:03pm
Sorry to hear of the place you live isn't the best. What moved you to MA anyway? Do you have any good friends there or have a nice church familY?

Hoping to find a good side!

Stacey

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-16-2003 - 5:14pm
hey there!

In all my years of working in college athletics - I've never been to the "swamp" as they call the UF Gator Football Stadium! I hear Gainesville is a great town and a great place to go to school.

My brother-in-law is in Valdosta right now doing pilot training at Moody AFB. He LOVES the area.....

:)k

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-16-2003 - 5:18pm
wow. That does sound like a sad place to live these days. I only know of Springfield, MA because it's the birthplace of basketball and James Naismith......

My aunt lives in Boston (actually Hingham) and my cousin lives in Hopkington outside of Boston!

:)k

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-21-2003 - 10:05am
Hi ladies, I've been away for 2 weeks, thus the late reply.

I live in Rhode Island. Not really much point in giving more specifics, since the state is so small. One of the good things about RI is the food. We can get just about any great authentic food you want within a short distance. Also I love the ocean. Although I don't spend a lot of time at the beach, I don't know that I could move away from the ocean.

New England in general is not very spiritual. sometimes it is really hard to find a church that is really growing and energetic spiritually. People here can be kind of cold and protective. Overall, Rhode Island is not where I thought I would be at this point in my life. I grew up here, but dh and I always planned to move up north to Vermont, New Hampshire or Maine.

We just spent 2 weeks camping in Vermont and what a beautiful state that is. I would love to live somewhere prettier.

See Ya, Leslie

Pages