Tuesday Talk

iVillage Member
Tuesday Talk
Tue, 08-05-2003 - 2:03pm
So... when will I get around to the book topic? Right now! I am just wondering today what makes a book "great" to you? Is it a plot line? Great characters? That "i can't put it down" factor?

What is the last "great" book that you read? I am needing some new suggestions and think it's time for us to make a list of Great books. So.. what makes it great and give us some titles!

Have a great day!

Stacey

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-06-2003 - 5:40pm
Words from a critic: What makes a book great is not only the high level of writing ability, but characters that feel real. Leave behind the two-dimensional goody-two-shoes and give me someone I'd love to meet in real life. (Or, in the case of a villian, someone I'd stay away from 'cause they're just too mean and vindictive!) Make the characters speak true-to-life dialogue, nothing too stilted and formal (unless we're in a time period or setting that requires formality, or the characters are hiding behind their words).

Can you see why I don't find many great books any more? I've become so picky! And yet when I do read something that meets the standard, I'm so happy and inspired!

My recommendation: Go back to "Love Comes Softly," by Janette Oke; but be prepared to grab more than one book in the series, 'cause they're so short!

Haven't reviewed Stephen R. Lawhead's writing lately, so I don't remember his level of writing. The "Dragon King" trilogy was my first experience reading his work and I'd love to go back to it again. So I guess that means I'd recommend him as well!

"Safely Home" by Randy Alcorn is good, too.

That's it for now, until I am able to find more Christian authors in the NB library system! I've heard Liz Curtis Higgs is good...

Becca :)

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com