Tuesday Talk: Talents!

iVillage Member
Tuesday Talk: Talents!
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 9:41am
What gifts or skills do you have? Are you musically inclined? Do you write, paint, sculpt? Are you Ms. Fix-It? (Pardon me if we have any guys reading this message; we get used to the all-gal aspect of iVillage. There's a new writer at the Romance Writing board, LordJeffrey - you should see how many women said Hi when he introduced himself! :) )

And, Stacey, if you had a Tuesday Talk topic, add it in. Don't want to steal the spotlight when I get here before ya!

My answers:

I tend to focus on my talent of writing fiction, but I've been assured I have others. I love music but haven't put the time and effort into playing my clarinet well, or finishing more than basic piano lessons. (Someday maybe... I would be so content to own my own piano, and then I'd have a very big reason to learn more.) I don't really fix many things - usually leave that to the men in my life - but I've learned a certain amount about the electronic devices my dad repairs. So, I can set up VCRs for dubbing, and clean my CD player when it has trouble "reading."

I guess the only talent besides writing that easily comes to my mind is that I have an ability to learn quickly. This, along with an aptitude for languages, got me far in school, made it easy to achieve higher grades.

Now for the part of my answer that wasn't required: Just want to state that I have much to add to my list of skills. For example, I've heard of active listening, but never tried it until recently. I have been too concerned about my opinions and speaking them that I often miss the point of what someone is trying to tell me. In my defense, active listening was never taught in my home; however, I should still have known better.

Becca

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 10:25am
Here I am on "vacation" ;) No babysitting this week until I go back to work next Monday. But I'm stuck here watching 5 bulldog puppies, and 7 newborn spaniels today. Okay got my griping over with.

I would say I have talents but they are not extreme in the amount of skill I have in them. I can sing a little, write a little, come up with lesson plans, act a very little. I think my most interesting is that I can pick up on voice tones, and imitate certain voices from movies a little, such as the shrill-voiced girl from Singing in the Rain.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 11:00am
What gifts or skills do you have? Are you musically inclined? Do you write, paint, sculpt? Are you Ms. Fix-It?

Well Becca I'll have to say I was thrilled to see such a great topic for Tuesday posted so early this morning! I've got nothing to add! I'll say that I'm not a Ms. Fix it. Mark is the one who is really into fixing things and most of the time I thank goodness for that! He really is handy, but sometimes I just wish he'd give people back their jobs- you know what I mean?

I think that my gifts are being with people. I'm really a friendly person- not tooting my own horn- and I think it shows when I meet new people. I try to be a servant when it comes to most things. I'm not musically inclined- except for singing. Sometimes I'm on the backup worship team and I love doing that. I do many crafts including scrapbooking, stamping and needlepoint. I just recently caught up my scrapbook and am planning on doing lots of cards to replenish my stock for when baby comes I will still be able to send out a card and seem like a competent friend!!

Great question Becca! I can't wait to read everyone's answers.

Stacey

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 11:04am
Was she the one who was a silent film star but a disaster when they wanted to make their first "talkie"? My mum has that movie, and I might have a copy of my own at her house. Love it! (I used to watch old movies all the time...)

Good to see you here!

Becca :)

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 11:08am
Amber! It's always nice to see you. Why doesn't being surrounded by puppies sound too bad to me right now? I just remember when my dog, Bonnie was a pup and she was the cutest little thing. But it sounds like you've got lots more than one to deal with.

Enjoy them while you can! Can you do an Ethel Merman impression?

Stacey

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 12:11pm
Haven't really seen Ethel Merman much in movies or anything except that hilarious scene in Airplane...remember "He's cracked up--thinks he's Ethel Merman". and Ethel is singing Coming up Roses in the hospital bed.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-12-2003 - 5:44pm
Becca, I know what you mean about a piano. I took lessons too and can fake my way through songs but if I had a piano or keyboard at home it would really help. I can't fix much but a friend of mine who is an engineer taught me how to take my VCR cover off and clean the heads without scratching them. I'm crossing over to DVD's but learning how to do that has really extended the life of my VCRs.

I wouldn't really say I'm talented in a certain area but I love to do a little of everything. Watercolor painting, sketching, jewelry making, play guitar and photography. I just do it because I like it, nothing major. I like to play around with accents too...my best are Texan and "Valley Girl" but not together!

~Ruth