Tuesday Talk

iVillage Member
Tuesday Talk
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 10:41am
Time to rate yourself on your computer knowledge ('cause I have nothing else interesting on my mind right now).

Are you a beginner but willing to learn? Do you care nothing more than how to turn it on, check email and view your favourite sites? Are you the computer "guru" of your family, even though you still have a lot you don't know? And finally, do you love to continually improve your machine so it's the best it can be, while also giving others pointers on how to use theirs?

I'm the third option: my family thinks I know a lot, so they turn to me for the answers to their questions (and I in turn ask my hubby, whom I'd rate as the last option, aka techie/geek).

Okay, time to think of lunch. (Notice how I'm all about food?) Have a great day, all! I'll be back after my library trip to share which selections I made!

Becca :)

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 11:15am
Well, I feel as if I know very little of the computer stuff. I can put my programs in and go but fixing problems and whatnot is left to my help with the computer. In the form of a friend, or my brother in law who knows everything! I don't really want to know more than I need to know to get from day to day. I would like to have a better computer at home when the baby comes so I can send photos and stuff, but other than e-mail, my checkbook and the internet, I don't really have any other needs that I feel like working on. I admire Becca, who can build her own computer and whatnot. Not me, I just like surfing the net, getting my mail and doing business on the computer!

Stacey

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-16-2003 - 11:55am
I didn't actually think I could build a computer myself, but hubby ran through everything one day last week (the last parts just arrived before noon today so we've had plenty of time to look over what had already arrived). Turns out I'd only want help putting the CPU in, 'cause there's the danger of breaking a pin and rendering the chip useless. Also, I doubt I'd be very good at placing the heatsink/fan over the CPU - too much pressure and you crush the chip, too little and it doesn't run properly. Other than that, it's just plugging the cables in the correct places, and there's documentation for it.

Installing Gentoo Linux is another thing - a long process, since you customise the operating system for your specific motherboard! Once the new comp is up and running, I may be in charge of installing Mandrake Linux on this machine. (Probably harder to mess up the settings with that "distro," or distribution!)

Okie, got some dishes to wash before I run to the library! Thanks for answering my silly q!

Becca :)

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com