Tuesday Talk!

iVillage Member
Tuesday Talk!
Tue, 10-14-2003 - 12:18pm
A topic came up the other day with my writing group. We were discussing whether or not we should have photos on our new website (which hubby and I are working on) and the chat strayed to makeup. So here are a few questions today about cosmetics:

- Do you wear makeup every day?

- Do you feel lost without it?

- Is there anyone besides me who knows nothing about cosmetics? ;)

As you can tell by the last question, I don't wear makeup. I own a couple different lipsticks, given to me at different times by my highschool best friend and my little sis. My nail polish, another gift from little sis, is used only for my toes (and that's mostly 'cause I'm not allowed to wear it at work).

I have plenty of earrings, some necklaces, and a couple bracelets to accessorise my clothing; but makeup hasn't yet entered the equation. Perhaps I'll get someone to teach me all about it when I have the money to spare...

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-14-2003 - 12:57pm
I did not have much money growing up and my mother would not let me wear makeup until well into high school. By then I felt like a dork to ask friends for help and I preferred to spend my little money on other things so it came to be a statement that I just preferred not to wear it. I found that many guys preferred that anyway, at least the ones I was interested in. I became a Christian at 18 and eventually went to a Christian college where it was really too late to learn how to put makeup on as it took far too much time and I was not a morning person. Eventually I found the type of makeup that I found easiest to apply and I wear it occasionally (some Sunday's and other special occasions). My husband prefers that I wear little if any. I wear it when I really want to look nice and/or cover up blemishes.

In the area I live in there are many very conservative churches where the women wear headcoverings, skirts, no makeup or jewelry. My best friend is a member of one so it kind of takes the pressure off me for most occasions with these friends.

Cynthia

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-14-2003 - 2:03pm

- Do you wear makeup every day?
- Do you feel lost without it?
- Is there anyone besides me who knows nothing about cosmetics? ;)

These are such good questions for Tuesday talk! Way to go Becca! I do wear makeup almost every day- the exception would be if it were a Friday- usually when I go to the gym early in the am I do not wear any makeup. Then if I get busy around the house I won't put any on. But honestly sometimes I put some on just so hubby will recognize me! I feel I look much better with concealer on at least and some mascara. I almost always wear a full face of makeup- foundation, concealer, brows, eyes, lips- but I don't wear my makeup very heavy so I feel I look natural- just prettier. I really don't feel lost without it, just not my best you know? I don't say I know lots about how to apply makeup, but I feel I know a little bit about it. I'm an arbonne consultant, mostly for purchasing for myself, but sometimes I sell it to others. It is great skin care products and makeup as well.

I admire women who can pull off a totally natural look- I just don't think I'm one of those people!

Stacey

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-14-2003 - 3:11pm
Off-topic here. How did you get colour in your message, Stacey? I suppose I could just use the HTML code I know to make multi-coloured messages; but I'm just curious if I missed a button or something.

Oh, something else. When I'm in Windows to print something (still haven't set up the printer in Linux) and want to visit iVillage, I find that I can't log in! Internet Explorer just brings up a Page Not Found error. Odd, isn't it?

Becca, who just found out she can sleep in a little tomorrow - Yay!! :D

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-15-2003 - 11:37am
I’ve been wearing make up everyday for quite a few years but I would have treated my face better if I knew what I was doing to it!

Growing up my girlfriends and I would experiment with make up all of the time. In college I used a ‘buff puff’ and now my skin is splotchy from using it too often. I also didn’t know that foundation used everyday can make your pores bigger and the biggest cause of wrinkles is no sun screen! My “laugh lines” around my eyes are now kept to a minimum by putting moisturizer with sunscreen around my eyes every day. I haven’t been able to pull of the “natural look” since high school so it’s good thing that I like how my make up looks on me now.

~Ruth

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-15-2003 - 11:44am

Hey Becca! I've recently noticed some changes when I post. There are all sorts of new pull down lists that I can choose from. 1st on is for the to: I can choose from all the names of members, not just the one I'm posting to-if you understand that.

Plus above the text box are choices regarding paragraph structure, font, size and color, plus I've got bold Italic and underline choices, sort of like MS Word. I don't know why or when I got these, it's just started to happen. I thought maybe it was only available to CL's or something? What does your screen look like?

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-15-2003 - 9:18pm
I think I don't have as many options because I'm using a Netscape-equivalent browser, and these changes are coded for Internet Explorer instead. That's okay with me.

Some of the new options/features are part of the iVillage premium packages, so other Bookshelf members may not have them unless they pay for the service.

Becca :)