Share Your Secrets

iVillage Member
Share Your Secrets
Mon, 12-29-2003 - 8:36pm
Okay, so what I'm seeking is more like "tips and tricks." But it's a catchy subject line, isn't it?

I want to start 2004 with a strategy for staying in the Word. I assume that a good place to begin is to actually take time out during the day - rather than talking about it...

Any other ideas? Have any books or websites helped you? I'll take all the suggestions I can get!

Thanks,

Becca :)

~~I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 NKJV~~

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-29-2003 - 10:17pm
For me what helped in the beginning was getting into a Sunday school class where the students were held accountable for specific questions, Bible verses to be found ect.

Now what I do is read one chapter aloud at night. I try to do one a day but average 5 nights a week. I perfer the nights simply because they are quieter in the apartment complex that I live in. I also keep two journals. One that is a personal/prayer journal, in it I write down a verse that I found intersting, what it means to me, what I can associat it with,(example a vers in the OT that matcheds something in the NT). I do not write iin this book everyday, just when something I think needs to be kept. A dream, a funny saying, a question. Then of course whatever Bible verse I find intersting. The last one I recorded was one I read on Sunday, during Sunday school (not my regular reading) Eccles 5:20.

My other journal is for non-fiction books. If I am reading something like PURPOSE DRIVEN LIFE that asks questions at the end I write them in this journal. Along with the questionn relative verses, quotes that I find intersting, and what ever memory verses they put in the book. Also for this journal I have a diffrent colour pen that I use for Bible verses. Text in one colour, verses in another, this includes just the refrences ie. Matt 1:2 or the full written verse.

The most important thing to do is to ask God to give you a hunger for his words. He will give you that.

I hope that this helps.

Steph

Edited 12/29/2003 10:22:40 PM ET by woy01

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2003 - 10:45am
Thanks, Steph! I'll start with the prayer 'cause that's also a missing element in my life.

Becca, who intends to read right after finishing email (yes, I have the activities backwards)

~~I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 NKJV~~

Random siggy powered by CGISpy.com

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-30-2003 - 12:01pm

I guess my advice, although this is an area of struggle for me as well, is to try and find your ideal time of day. I tried and tried to do my devotions in the morning, but just can't get into the habit at that time at this stage of my life. I always find myself doing this in the pm before bed.