Love Merina but thinking I need a break.

iVillage Member
Love Merina but thinking I need a break.
Wed, 10-07-2009 - 1:32pm
So, I am very naughty (partly my fault, partly due to not being able to get a doctors appt) and have had my IUD in for 6 years now. It is time to come out...and until recently I had no question that I would be replacing it with another IUD. I really REALLY love this thing! I love the shorter periods, the lack of headaches, etc that I got with oral BCP's, not having to remember to take something all the time. All the reasons everyone loves it. I have actually been entirely overlooking the side effects...that may or may not be from the IUD. The cramping and the bloating (looking five months preg). In order for me to get an idea of if this is from the IUD....and if it IS, just how bad it is so I can decide if I still think it is worth it.....I am thinking of taking a break from it when I get it removed. The thing is, I am not sure WHAT to use during that break. I am NOT really feeling oral BCP's. I remember the side effects I had and the constant battle to find the "right" one. I don't care to go back to that....plus I am in my mid 30's....so anything with high doses of hormones (especially estrogen) scares me. Prior to this iud, I had the copper one...which was horrible and i would never do again. Before that, I did the patch...which was great in terms of not having to remember something every day but the hormonal side effects were tough. I just can't think of anything else that doesn't use a high dose of hormones besides the IUD, condoms (ahhh, we know how well those work, lol), or permenant methods (which we are probably ready for...but I am not totally ready to say that just yet). Am I missing anything else?
signature

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-08-2009 - 12:21pm
You could try the mini-pill, typically a low dose pill which does not contain estrogen.