Anyone with non-hormonal bc experience?

iVillage Member
Anyone with non-hormonal bc experience?
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 3:09am

I have been on and off birth control pills for 10 years now. I have tried OrthoTri Cyclen, Yasmin, Yaz, Ocella, Loestrin, Nuva Ring, mini pill, and a few others I can't even remember because it has been so long. I react the exact same to every single one of them...low libido, horrible acne, weight gain, and incredibly emotional. When I am not on bc I feel absolutely amazing and can't believe that something can have such an effect on so many things! I kept thinking I would find the one that is right for me and it never happened. I stayed on each one at least 6 months thinking I would adjust..nope. I just simply can't take the roller coasters anymore...

I am engaged to be married in 6 weeks to an incredibly supportive man. He sees what hormonal bc does to me and we both agree that there has to be something else we can do that doesn't have hormones in it. I have talked to my doctor about a copper IUD but we are almost 30 and within a year from trying to pregnant. She is hesitant to put one in when we are only 8-10 months away from trying for a baby. So, I am hoping to find anyone that has tried different methods of non-hormonal bc. Diaphragms? Sponges? Spermicides? We both hate hate hate condoms and want to avoid that if possible. Since we aren't all that far away from trying to get pregnant we don't need something with 100% effectiveness. Just something that could hold it off for a little while :) If you have tried ANY non-hormonal bc that has worked or not worked please tell me about it! Not many women use non-hormonal these days and it has been difficult getting advice :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 10-30-2009 - 11:30am
Pick up the book "taking charge of your fertility" It is a wonderful resource and shows you how to track your cycles and know when you're fertile. That way you only have to use condoms/spermicide or avoid during that window.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Britax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 2:26pm
Hi there! Although it's been awhile for me and BC, did you discuss the Mirena IUD with your doc? I understand that the level of hormones it has is very little and it can be taken out at any time. I used an IUD similar to Mirena (back in the day) when I needed BC exactly b/c of the reasons you stated too and that lower level didn't affect me. I tried all the pills, depo, norplant, etc. My cervix was bent down and toward my spine, I forget the name they have for that, so putting a cap, sponge or diaphragm there "just right" could have been shaky and I wanted the piece of mind of knowing I wouldn't get preg. I had the IUD taken out in June and was preg in July - but this is just my experience. However, my sister loved her diaphragm. She used a spermicide with it as well for extra protection. Good luck in your search, I know how frustrating it can be.

<
iVillage Member
Mon, 11-02-2009 - 2:27pm
If you're only a year away from TTC, then I suggest the rhythm method or condoms.

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-06-2009 - 5:53pm

I only use non hormonal birth control. Natural Family Planning works great when done right, and after a couple of months of protected sex to get down your cycle. I also use a diaphragm and like it. It is not uncomfortable and really doesn't interfere with sex at all. The only downside is I cannot reach to put it in myself, although I can get it out myself. So I have to involve DH to do that for me. No biggy. I would recommend it.

~

> >