non-estrogen based pill

iVillage Member
non-estrogen based pill
Fri, 11-06-2009 - 6:53pm

Has anyone on here had any experience taken the mini pill or having the implanon implant? My new ob/gyn (military dr) would rather me be on this rather than Loestrin 24 FE because of my migraine history and the risk of stroke. I guess i am leary switching to the mini pill or something different. I have been taking Loestrin 24 FE for the last year or so, without any problems, and haven't had a migraine since really being on it.

Thanks,
Kim

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-07-2009 - 3:14pm

I have been on the mini pill for a year and a half. I love it, almost as much as I did my IUD. no migrains, mood swings, panic attacks

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-07-2009 - 6:29pm

The progesterone only pills (POPs or mini pills) have to be taken VERY exactly for them to be effective. Too big of a risk for me personally. The on time window is about 30 min (as opposed to about 2 hours for regular pills).

Have you considered an IUD? Either the Mirena or the Copper version? Neither have estrogen. You CAN have an IUD if you haven't had a child too.

Mirena has progesterone only (fairly localized as well), known for shorter lighter periods (and sometimes none at all), good for 5 years

the Paraguard (copper) has no hormones at all, known for heavier longer periods and is good for 10 years.

Both have an adjustment period were irregular bleeding/spotting is normal (up to 6 months)

I have the Mirena (3 years in Feb) and LOVE it. I had spotting for about 6 weeks after I had it inserted. My periods got lighter right away and now I have no period most of the time, or just light spotting sometimes. My libido is like when I'm not on birth control with the Mirena.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Britax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 12-05-2009 - 9:51pm
I've been on Implanon for about 3 1/2 months now and I love it. At first, I had some pretty bad side effects with it(headaches and nausea) in the first month. I had my last period on Sept 13, 2009 and it lasted about a week. I haven't had a period since then. The good thing about Implanon, to me, is the convenience. I do not have to worry about taking a pill everyday or pregnancy for that matter. The implant is good for three years. Every woman is different so talk to your doctor to get more info on it.