New with IUD questions

iVillage Member
New with IUD questions
Wed, 11-11-2009 - 2:31pm
Hi everyone. Well, a little background on me, I recently had an abortion and decided to have an iud placed for my choice of birth control. They have all of these things explaining checking your strings and possible movement of your IUD. I was wondering if anyone could answer a couple, probably dumb questions I have lol. First off, my boyfriend and I wrestle a lot, just playful stuff, I was wondering if any kind of movement or exercise can move the iud? I'm sure it probably can't, or women wouldn't be able to carry on with their normal every day activities, I'm just a little paranoid and would like to hear from someone who has had one or knows more about them than I do. There is just so much more that they explain when getting one of these versus the pill method. Is it hard to find your strings? I find that I can barely reach mine, and I am a small girl with very short fingers. And they warned me about tampons, that it's ok to wear them but they can sometimes catch on the strings and move them? How often does this happen? I used to be gymnast to, so the occasional flip or hand stand is something that I get the urge to do, could this move my iud? I got mirena, I'm 22 and have not had kids. I just want to make sure I'm not doing something that could effect my fertility in the future. Thanks for any answers ladies, or personal experiences.
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-12-2009 - 1:52pm

I don't believe that exercise or normal activity are likely to cause the IUD to move, have you asked your doctor about this?

One of our members, Melissa, may be along soon to give you her perspective as a fellow IUD user.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-13-2009 - 10:24am

Nothing to worry about.

The only thing with tampons is that you might find you need a lighter tampon (not a super heavy flow one) because once the spotting/bleeding settles down in a couple weeks-6 months you're flow will likely be MUCH lighter than it was before and you don't want to pull a dry tampon out.

As for physical activity just forget about the IUD there's nothing you can do that will bother it ;)

After the first couple months where I looked for the strings I stopped looking for it on a regular basis. Now I only occasionally look for them IF I remember. You're strings were probably cut rather short and that's why it's harder to feel them. Depending on where you are in your cycle your cervix moves too so sometimes your cervix is lower than other times and it will be slightly easier to find them.

I love the Mirena and I'll have had mine for 3 years in February now I rarely get a period at all and that's the best part for me ;)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Britax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-13-2009 - 11:43am
Thanks for your responses ladies. I love it so far. I haven't had any side effects. A tiny bit of spotting, but after the first day of bleeding, almost nothing. I have no idea where I am in my cycle since I just had an abortion and they put it in at my two week check up. I didn't think any activity could move it, it's just kind of odd to get used to having something in there. My boyfriend and I tried it out the other night, and he went looking for the strings and let me know that they are off to my left lol. He couldn't feel them at all and I couldn't tell a difference with it in there at all. I love it so far, so hopefully it keeps working for me!
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-01-2009 - 5:27pm
That's great to hear a positive feedback on using a Mirena IUD. I'm having an appt soon to discuss my options and which IUD to choose. I've been using the Pill for more than a year now and want a different method instead of the Pill because I have a tendency not remembering to take the Pill at the same time every day. I wanted something I don't have to remember everyday and not worry about getting pregnant while remaining physically active.

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-01-2009 - 5:58pm

I chose the Mirena after I had my son. I knew with a newborn I would NOT remember to take a pill every day (like I did for the 5 years before I decided to TTC). My husband is on medication that can cause birth defects and we can not chance an oops baby.

So I picked the Mirena. I had about 6 weeks of spotting off and on (inserted at my 6 week post partum check up). After that my periods got lighter and shorter right away. Now I have almost no period (just a little spotting). I'll have had mine for 3 years in February.

Photobucket

Britax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket