copper IUD- the good, the bad & the ugly

iVillage Member
copper IUD- the good, the bad & the ugly
Wed, 11-18-2009 - 10:27pm

All input is welcome! I have tried hormonal methods of birth control for years and have conceived 2 kids while using them! Needless to say, my body doesnt really care about the hormones- I can get pregnant anyway. I need another option. My husband and I are young and have been married for 5 years- we want to keep our relationship strong and healthy without getting pregnant again!
I am interested in an IUD, but want to hear personal stories, advice... good news/ bad news/ EVERYTHING!

thanks a bunch!

-Lyssa

baby

baby
baby
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-19-2009 - 12:46pm

There are two options to choose from for IUDs. The Mirena and the Paraguard. I personally have the Mirena but have info about both for you :D

The Mirena uses progesterone (which is fairly localized) and good for 5 years. Studies show it to be as effective or even more so than a tubal ligation. It's known for shorter lighter periods. I have hardly any period now with mine, sometimes a little spotting. I'll have had it three years in February. My libido with the Mirena is just like when I'm not on any hormonal birth control since the progesterone is fairly localized and not systemic.

The Paraguard (copper) uses no hormones and is good for 10 years. It's known for heavier, longer periods which is why I personally nixed it. It's also almost as effective as the Mirena.

The nice thing with either is that you have it placed, go back in a month for a check up and then check the strings once a month after your period (or when you remember lol). There's nothing to DO to make it work. My husband can NOT feel it during sex and I have to REALLY be looking for the strings to feel them myself, they feel slightly like fishing wire at first and soften up a bit over time. I can't feel it though unless I'm looking for it.

If you have any questions feel free to ask I'm not shy :D

Photobucket

Photobucket

Britax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket