Mirena IUD

iVillage Member
Mirena IUD
Fri, 12-11-2009 - 2:34pm

I know there are a couple IUD users here from the posts I have read. Unfortunately, my doctor didn't give me a lot of information and I read some stuff online that kind of scares me. I just got mine inserted yesterday so now I'm a little paranoid.

First of all, I'm 29 (will be 30 in 2 1/2 weeks, eek!). I have two kids and had my tubes tied 4 1/2 years ago after my last child. Since then my periods have been HORRIBLE!. I have extreme PMS and my bleeding is so bad I have to wear an ultra tampon with a pad for a couple days because I have lots of huge clots and a lot of blood. My doctor said I could do the pill or the IUD to control the bleeding. I'm on other medications for other health issues and I just couldn't do another pill and they seem to make me sick to my stomach since having the boys so I chose the IUD.

I'm currently on day 5 of my period so yesterday when he put it in it felt like a big cramp but not bad. Since then I've had kind of a bad cramp on my lower right side (ovary area) and this morning I woke up with a huge headache. It's not uncommon for me to have headaches though so it may be nothing. Is this normal? I'm glad others love it and I'm really hoping to have a great experience too. Another thing is that I have stage 2 liver disease and I read online you shouldn't use it if you have liver disease or high blood pressure but the doctor didn't say anything to me about it.

Any advice would be great. Thank you!

iVillage Member
In reply to: iangela2003
Sat, 12-12-2009 - 11:53am

I would talk to your doctor about the liver disease or high blood pressure aspect since I don't know about that part.

I have the Mirena and had it inserted after my son was born at my 6 week check up. I did have cramping for a couple of days after insertion. I had irregular spotting or bleeding for about 6 weeks after insertion. After that my periods got lighter and shorter right away. Now I usually only have a little spotting if I get anything.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Britax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket