Heavy bleeding during active pill week

iVillage Member
Heavy bleeding during active pill week
Mon, 12-14-2009 - 12:44pm

I'm 37 years old and have been on the pill for about 6 years now. There have been times when I would get some very light, rust colored spotting for a couple of days during the regular pill week, but this is really odd. It's been 1 1/2 weeks since I started bleeding and it still hasn't stopped. It started at the end of my 2nd week of active pills with very rusty colored blood and very spotty. After two days it went into a full on bright red heavy period and went on being heavy through my 3rd week of active pills and it is still fairly heavy and bright red now after just starting my placebos yesterday. Even when I'm on the placebo week, the bleeding doesn't usually start until 2 days after I start the placebos and then it's bright red and heavy for 2-3 days and the the last day or two it's really light and rusty again. It's been 12 days now I've been bleeding whereas I usually bleed for 5-6 days.

I always take my pills within the same hour every day and never miss any. I did join a gym about a month ago and have been working out 5 days a week now whereas I wasn't doing anything too physical previous to that. Might that affect it? Should I be worried?

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-14-2009 - 3:10pm
In my opinion, I'd call the doctor.