Depo Provera

iVillage Member
Depo Provera
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 9:52am
Can you take Depo Provera if you are on certain types of anti seizure medications ?.
iVillage Member
In reply to: what2do1973
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 10:25am

That's something that really needs to be discussed with your doctor.

Depo is the one form of birth control that I REALLY try to have women avoid. It's the only form KNOWN to cause weight gain, and bone loss if taken for more than 2 years. It's also known to cause fertility issues and take up to 2 years to even get your period back.

So if there is another form that works for you avoid Depo, it's evil.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Britax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 10:36am
Actually I've been on Depo Provera before, but I was not on the anti seizure meds at the time. But now the seizures have started up again. And when I was on the Depo before, the only "symptom I had with it was the fact that I didn't have a period, which personally, I didn't mind at all, because I honestly do not want any more children. And the fact that Im taking all these medications now, I do not need any more cihldren, as some of these can cause birth defects anyway. Thanks for the information though. I will definitely discuss it with my doctor and see what he thinks I should do.
iVillage Member
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 10:50am

Talk with your doctor about the bone loss as well if you've been on depo a total of two years or more.

My husband is on medication that can cause birth defects and I chose the Mirena IUD so that we would be sure to be safe. We're done with kids too, one and done :D I have almost no period on the Mirena so it's a great option IMO.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Britax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket