Please help translate this spotting!

iVillage Member
Please help translate this spotting!
Sun, 01-03-2010 - 11:47pm

Hello!

I'm 35, and after years of using alternate forms of birth control, I've started taking a mini-pill, mostly because my periods had become much more painful and very heavy, to the point of being difficult to deal with.

After one pack of pills, taken more or less correctly, I had a normal, very heavy, awful, yucky, painful period.

After the second pack of pills, taken less carefully (I took a couple of doses in the late evening instead of morning, and skipped another pill entirely, doubling up the next day) I have had only a couple of days of very light dark brown spotting instead of a period.

During the last half of the month I've also had some nausea and very mild but unusual cramps.

I know that eventually, on this pill, my periods should become very light. But this seems pretty sudden--it was heavy last month and nearly nonexistent this month. When I add the nausea and the strange mild cramping to the fact that my husband and I did have sex a few times during the month...well...

Is this very light spotting normal after only being on the pill for a couple of months? Or should I be thinking in terms of a possible pregnancy?

I've hunted around online for an answer but can't find one. Do you have an opinion?

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 11:10am

First taking the mini pill you must be VERY careful about taking it on time (within 30 min on time). It needs to be so timely because otherwise you can get pregnant easily.

Some women do notice a change right away in their periods, others don't. It's a very individual thing. Also women on the mini-pill often notice that their periods don't always show up exactly when they expect them either since there is no estrogen in the mini-pill. It's why the mini-pill is popular with moms who are still breast feeding because it doesn't effect their milk supply.

So if you're using it for birth control you need to be VERY precise with taking it, missing even one dose on the mini-pill can mean pregnancy is a possibility.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Britax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket