new here, ?about iuds?

iVillage Member
new here, ?about iuds?
Fri, 01-15-2010 - 10:10pm

i'm elizabeth(27) and due in march w/ my 4th. i'm looking at getting an iud after my baby is born.

so i'm just wondering about iuds. i know there is a hormonal one and a copper one. has anyone her had either one? how did you choose? what was it like to get it put in? have you had any problems with it?

any good web sites for info?

thanks

Elizabeth

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sun, 01-17-2010 - 9:56am

I have the Mirena (progesterone only and okay for breast feeding moms). I had it put in at my 6 week check up after my son was born. I'll have had it for 3 years next month. Mirena is known for shorter lighter periods and since the progesterone is fairly localized most women don't notice the small amount of hormone in it. It's good for 5 years.

The copper version has no hormones and is also okay for breastfeeding moms and is known for heavier longer periods and is good for 10 years.

I LOVE my IUD. You have to be willing to hold out for 6 months though since it takes a bit for things to settle down and irregular bleeding or spotting is common for both versions for that time. I had irregular bleeding for about 6 weeks and then settled down. My period got lighter and shorter right away. Now I have nearly no period and if I do it's just a little spotting.

I can't feel the strings and neither can DH. The only time I feel them is when I check for them. You're supposed to check once a month but now I just do it sporadically. They feel a bit like fishing wire at first and soften up over time.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Britax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-18-2010 - 8:07am

I had some side effects with the Mirena so I had it removed last week. My hair was falling out like crazy, so much that its all thin on the top and in the front. I was also having headaches. I loved it because since May I only had like 3 periods and they were basically just 3-4 days of spotting. But I can't take the hair loss anymore. I will probably get the paragard, although I am not looking forward to the heavier bleeding and cramps. Good luck with your decision.
Photobucket
Lilypie

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-24-2010 - 7:33pm

I've had Mirena for about a year and love it!