tubal ligation - positive feedback

iVillage Member
tubal ligation - positive feedback
Fri, 03-05-2010 - 2:20pm

Hi there - I'm scheduled for a tubal ligation on March 24 and am looking for positive feedback from women who have had this done and had no problems in the yrs following (no post tubal ligation syndrome). I know millions of women opt for this surgery and are happy with it - there must be - but all I see on the internet, or the majority of comments are to do with post tubal ligation problems. Just looking for some extra reassurance.

As well, there aren't other options for us - hubby has had recent major surgery in that area and I don't want any hormonal birth control as I have breast cancer in the family and a copper IUD is not for me either.

thanks for any info!

:)

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-06-2010 - 6:00pm

I would consider Essure over a tubal if I was choosing something permanent today (I have the Mirena IUD).

I do believe there are lots of women who haven't had problems with a tubal out there, they just don't post "and nothing happened". Most of the time when someone posts on the internet it's because there was a problem.

Essure is a permanent form of birth control where they place coils into your tubes and then scar tissue grows (you have to use a backup method for awhile) then you go in to be sure the tubes are fully blocked in a couple of months and there's nothing else to do. There have been much lower side effects associated with Essure than the Tubal in recent years I think so it would be something worth looking into.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Britax

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 10:45am

I had a tubal about 7 years ago and no problems. I know at least 3 other women who

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 4:10pm

Thanks so much for the info. I'm feeling a lot better now about getting my tubes done - I've had numerous replies on other sites from women who have had tubal's and been very happy with it, and like you said, experienced no changes whatsoever.

I expect to have some changes in the next 10 yrs as I'm 41 and probably going to meet up with peri-menopause/menopause within that time frame but for now, I've been used to my normal, hormonal free cycle for 5 years now (barring 2 pregnancies). At first I thought the filshie clamp technique would be the best but after further research, and my surgeon telling me they prefer the cut and cauterize method because the clips sometimes fall off, I'm happier with that anyway. I don't feel comfortable with any device staying in my body anyway (although I know lots of people need stents and plates and stuff and are fine) so I am not keen on Essure for that reason, or an IUD - Mirena uses hormones and the copper IUD causes more cramping and heavier periods - I can certainly do without that.

Thanks again. I'm keeping my surgery date of March 24 and now I'm excited to get it over and done with before summer.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-08-2010 - 5:20pm

Yes, my doctor (one of the top gyns in the DC area) prefers cut and cauterize too; that was one of my considerations as well.

I don't blame you for being excited, having the TL was one of the best decisions I've made. My healing was very quick and almost painless, so I'm guessing yours will be too. Soon you'll be enjoying the most common "side effect" of a TL -- the happy freedom that comes from not having to worry about birth control ever again!!

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-09-2010 - 12:52am

My mother had tubal ligation back in 1972 when she was 34, and she has never complained about it at all in any way.

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 8:26pm

I'm interested to find out how your tubal surgery went in March and how you are feeling at this point.

I've been trying to decide what form of permanent birth control I would like. I looked in Essure as well, but like you I'm not sure I want something permanently placed in my body. Also, although there is now 5yrs or so of data, there is nothing beyond that, so who knows what the long-term effects of those coils might be.

Anyway, I would love to hear how it went and how you are doing! :-)

iVillage Member
Fri, 01-14-2011 - 11:15pm

Hi there, I know it's been months since you posted here - last May - but I was just looking over my previous posts and found your comment/question.

I had my surgery in March 2010 and have had no problems since. I do notice a small bit of pain on either side of my pelvis sometimes but I attribute this to my body healing where the tubes were cauterized (I am 41 after all! lol and I think healing internally will take some time).

I am still happy with my decision - very much so. I have had NO changes in my cycle or weight gain or hormonal differences in any way. I'm super relieved not to have to worry about birth control any more.

I've had some unusual pain on both sides with this months' period and am going for an ultrasound to rule out anything I should be aware of like cysts etc. but I don't think its' related to the tubal unless perhaps being scar tissue (and possibly the fact that I did a fairly strenuous workout (i'm not in the greatest

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-17-2011 - 12:25pm
Thank you for posting this. I have been considering the possibility of having the tubal in the event of a c-section with the birth of this baby. If not, DH will be getting the V. :)