long-term effects of birth control

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
long-term effects of birth control
Mon, 09-06-2010 - 10:34pm

I've been on the pill since I started having sex 8 years ago. I just went off of it for a month and feel great! I hate the idea of messing with my hormones again, but I know I should go back on it since I'm nowhere near ready to get pregnant, nor am I in a committed relationship.

I'm curious, though, what the long-term effects of being on the pill are. Can it really be that good for my body to be on the pill for so long? I'm afraid I'm far from ready to have kids, which means I could be on it for another 5 years or so. So pretty much, all of my adult life this pill has been regulating my body.

Am I harming my body by going back on it? Since I've pretty much only had sex ever while on the pill, am I more likely to be really fertile off of it?

Thanks for your responses!

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-07-2010 - 1:48pm

Studies I've read recently indicate that there aren't really any long term effects and that no breaks are necessary unless a woman is attempting to conceive.

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-09-2010 - 2:26pm

I've been on the pill for over a decade and was starting to wonder the same thing, if I was going to experience harmful long term side effects.

Follow me to Coping with Job Loss

Follow me to Birth Control

--------
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-22-2010 - 9:54am

I wonder if doctors figured women wouldn't be on birth control for more than a few years before going off due to marriage/kids?