*&$#!!%^ Expletives!!

iVillage Member
*&$#!!%^ Expletives!!
Wed, 03-04-2009 - 11:48am

I am of the opinion that we need some new exclamations and expletives!
All of the ones I know are religiously oriented or varieties thereof.
Any good ideas???

Geeeeeez! Oh GOSH!

Karen

Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-04-2009 - 2:36pm

You must be forgetting the whole class of urination and excrement derivatives. ;)

I also say "dastard" with a d instead of a b. It actually means what people are getting at, without disrespecting people who happened to be born to an unwed mother.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-04-2009 - 3:47pm
There are also the unflattering body part slang terms..need I enumerate them? If you couple any of them with the f bomb you have a fairly decent curse word (or phrase). (A little off topic--I used to say that I wish I owned stock in the effing company, because they make SO MANY things!)
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-04-2009 - 5:32pm

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-05-2009 - 1:34am

I have been credited with the term "a$$bucket".

One of my favorite insults was from a friend of mine called Davey, who lives in NYC, who signed off a response to some guy who was making a bad argument about security in NYC, that he was "seriously thinking of moving to where" the poster lived "because it was obviously a safe place to be stupid."

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-13-2009 - 6:05pm

LOL!

I'm still not satisfied! I need an "old standard" substitution. I asked my 8 yr old DS who said I should say, 'HEY!" or "WOW" or "OOOOPS" or "NOOOOOOOOO".
LOL...out of the mouth of babes.

I admit, the one I'm looking for a substitute for is the one that I hear a hundred times a day..."OH my God!"

The one that I use the most, though, is $hit. As is, "Let's get our $hit picked up!" The kids asked me, "Mom, why is your stuff 'stuff' and our stuff is '$hit'"?!
I love them!!!

Peace,
Karen

P.S. I promise I don't use that one every day or anything...! LOL

P.S. GEEZ...the morality checker made me change the word "$hit"! GEEZ.

PPSS. Also, GEEZ. Such a variation of 'Jesus". You just can't get away from them!

Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-13-2009 - 9:00pm

I once heard someone say "Oh Your God" instead. Took me a second to get it, but I eventually understood.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-13-2009 - 11:46pm

My point is that I don't want to use ANY words with religious overtones or roots. I'm just that way. lol

So, Cheese and Rice, while very funny, LOL, would fit into that group. See?

Well, my search continues! I thought this group could some up with something clever...Oh well Geeeeeeez.

Peace,
Karen

Edited 3/13/2009 11:47 pm ET by imshooshy
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-14-2009 - 1:33am
My dad's parents were from Ireland, and they had the one word oath "Jesusmaryandjoseph". When my 4 year old daughter sees a creche around Christmas, she exclaims that it's "Jesusmaryandjoseph and the three wise guys", with the first word with an Irish accent.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-14-2009 - 1:42am

I often swear in foreign languages (as a former merchant seaman I learned quite a few).

There is also the term "Frack" from Battlestar Galactica.

<<"Mom, why is your stuff 'stuff' and our stuff is '$hit'"?!>>

You kids have been watching George Carlin, haven't they? And not when he was the conductor on Thomas the Tank Engine/Shiny Time Station.

About 2:10 into :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvgN5gCuLac

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-14-2009 - 3:49am

"Oh my God!" is an interjection usually used to express surprise or annoyance. There are lots of other interjections that do the same thing, like "yikes!" "blarg!" or "please!" If you want to be more expletive-y, f- and s-based words are so very multi-purpose.

Interjections are so easy because you can say pretty much anything in the right tone. "Well, cut off my legs and call me shorty!" is basically a long, non-religious version of the surprise-"Oh my God!" The real trick is training yourself to stop saying one and start saying the other.

Getting rid of everyday superstitious language is a lot harder. Even though there's a less obvious connection to god(s), words like "luck," "fortune," "destiny," and "fate" are just as much woo but can be found all over the place. Even if you've stopped saying junk like, "everything happens for a reason," do you still say "good luck" to people? What about saying, "unfortunately"? I doubt you actually believe that an "external, arbitrary force" is affecting your affairs (from my dictionary's definition of 'fortune') any more than you think a personal god cares that you're annoyed at the lameness of the joke you just heard. Maybe that's going too far to "fix" one's language, but people who hear you say "Oh my God!" are probably not thinking about deities any more or less than people think about external, arbitrary meddling forces when you say "unfortunately." ;)

Photobucket

Pages