Ever think you might *snap*?

iVillage Member
Ever think you might *snap*?
Thu, 03-05-2009 - 3:15pm
I am sick of being such a nice person when people start proselytizing to me. I want to start punching them in the face, "Hey, do you want to come to my church?!? You'll meet friends!!!" ***BAM!***

I have always been extremely tolerant and respectful of other people's beliefs. I usually don't discuss my beliefs unless asked or among like minded people. Lately though it is getting out of hand. I am becoming increasingly annoyed with religious people trying to convert me. It is even worse when they do it under the guise of friendship.

I am totally respectful of their beliefs, but they show NO respect for mine.

A former friend/coworker out of the blue sent me an e-mail with this format, 'sentence of small talk + ginormous paragraph of witnessing + smalltalk question requiring a response.'

Instead of telling them to go to hell, my response was, "As an atheist I'm not really interested in any religion. Thanks anyhow. The best free antivirus is AVG. I know a lot of people who use it and I have heard nothing negative."

Sometimes I wonder if I will ever snap... I just don't want to prove the stereotype, 'atheists are amoral assholes,' right.

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-05-2009 - 5:08pm
Sometimes I have visions of totally losing it at my parents' house. I'm "out" to pretty much everyone who's ever met me since I left home, but my family doesn't know. We don't talk about it and they just assume I agree with them, and I let them keep assuming. I'm not in the States often, but when I am there are definitely moments I'm biting my tongue. I'm pretty lucky, though, that the emails my mother forwards me can safely go in the bin and I don't need to respond to them. I am definitely familiar with the whole passive-agressive style you mean though. If you don't respond, you're an a-hole, and if you respond with honestly, you're an a-hole, and if you lie, then you're a lying a-hole. There's no winning, and sometimes they don't even realize (or at least they don't admit to realizing) that they've set you up like that. Ugh.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-05-2009 - 5:37pm
It is even more difficult when they are persistent.

I am now FIVE e-mails deep with this person. Simply politely saying, "As an atheist I'm not really interested in any religion. Thanks anyhow," wasn't good enough. Like every other religious nut job they ask why, then when you tell them they start proselytizing MORE.

He actually wrote THIS in his latest e-mail, "You can beleive me when I say this, but I know for a fact that there is a God and that he made this world we live in and that He has a son that died on the cross to pay the penalty once and for all for all man's sins and all we have to do to have eternal life with Him is to only just beleive in Him and accept the free gift of salvation that he provides for us."

Anyone who states anything about the creation of the universe with absolute unwavering conviction is a complete idiot in my book.

As always, I am trying to be diplomatic without coming off as an a­sshole. It is like religious people try and force us to 'react' just so they can say, "See, atheists are horrible people who are mean and insult our beliefs."

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-05-2009 - 8:47pm

If you could tolerate it, I would call him out and say, just tell me how you know for a

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-05-2009 - 9:17pm

Next time write back, "I know for a fact that the world was created by the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-06-2009 - 7:40am
If you don't snap and prove we're all a-holes, you'll ask to please not talk about it anymore which proves that you're uncomfortable with the truth of the Lord and therefore he's right. It's a lose-lose situation. Kinda like how there is no good way to respond to, "calm down!" :P Even if you point out that he's put you in a bad position, it will be interpreted as rude or an admission of wrongness. I hate that crap.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-06-2009 - 8:39am
=========

I'd be curious on his craphead answer.

=========

I don't even need to ask. He is trying his best to convert me so he provided the information completely unsolicited. Here you go, copy and paste from my e-mail to here.

COPY

I haven't told many people this but I was born with epilepsy and had occasional seizers as a kid and was tested and put on medication that I had to take three times a day. When I was in elementary, my mom took us to my aunt's church one night and there was an evanglist there that told us that he felt that God needed to heal someone and so people went up front and my sister went up there so I asked my mom what she was doing and she told me that she wanted to be healed of psoriasis that she had. Well I told my mom that I wanted to be healed of my disease too so I went up there but I just knew that this guy was a fake and that I was going to embarrass him when he put his hand on my head and that I would just stand there looking at him. So as he started to pray for each person standing there and touching them on the head they would just pass out and I just thought that they were in on it but when he got to my sister and she fell all of the sudden I knew that something was wrong because I know my sister wasn't in on the joke. Well he walked up to me and asked me what was wrong and asked me did I beleive God could heal me and I said yes so he started to pray for me and gently touched my head and about 40 minutes later I woke up and got up off the floor and told my Mom that God told me I didn't have to take that medicine anymore and I never did and have never had another seizer since then.

PASTE

I haven't told many people this, but I also had epilepsy as a child. One night I went to sleep, woke up and never had a seizure again. From his witnessing, I now know Jesus must have touched me in my sleep... lol

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-06-2009 - 10:00am
lol, that works good for talking in our circles, but Christians quickly realize we are making fun of them if we talk about the flying spaghetti monster to their face.

Anyhow, he already asked what I believe. I told him and he said, "That is very depressing and if that is true and all we have is this 70 to 80 (hopefully) years on Earth then that is the saddest thing I think I have ever heard."

Basically he thinks existing for a finite time is so depressing and scary, he'd rather create a fairy tale to make himself happy.

Heck, I don't even know if we, 'stop existing,' but I don't believe answering massive questions with a made up creature is the answer.

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-06-2009 - 10:57am

Ugh, I can sympathize completely. I've cut off all contact with quite a few people who just COULD NOT STOP with their cramming religion down my throat. It's so disrespectful, and ineffective.

As for him "knowing for a fact" (ugh), I am a big enough smart-a** that I would be tempted to reply by quoting his "fact" quote and then pasting this link to one of my favorite lines from The Princess Bride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-06-2009 - 1:17pm

YEs I am ready to snap.
On Facebook My SIL called me "a pot stirrer " when I call Christmas the Holidays.. But it's for me to turn a blind eye when she prays for everything under the sun to come to her (Money health jobs...). In her mind I am wrong and she is right and I best keep my mouth shut while she prays for my children.... And I certainly can't prove her right by misbehaving in someway that would equate to her my Godlessness.

ARGH!

Liesl

March
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-06-2009 - 1:47pm

Why would you call it Christmas when Holidays is more accurate? That is what I don't understand, Christmas is not the only thing happening that time of year.

During that time of year there is, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Years and a few others which are lesser known. Holidays is an accurate term for the season, while Christmas refers to one day.

When they say the phrase, "Holiday Season," is declaring war on Christmas, I like to think of it as more along the lines of declaring war on Stupidity.

Pages