support of religious fundraisers

iVillage Member
support of religious fundraisers
Fri, 03-06-2009 - 1:15pm
I was just wondering if anyone does NOT support religious fundraisers like private christian/catholic schools, girl scouts & boy scouts. I am talking about pamphlets/order forms left at work asking for people to buy candy/wrapping paper, etc, the girl scout cookies & boy scouts selling flowers, popcorn etc. I am tired of constantly being asked by coworkers to support their child religious organizations/scouts. Personally, I do not support any of these organizations, especially the boy scouts. I was just wondering how anyone else felt about this.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-06-2009 - 1:25pm

I don't have a huge budget for Charity, I choose for my money to support my children's school and that' s it. BUT having said that, I can't say no to the boy scout selling their Apples at my front door!
On the other hand my Husband and I would NEVER ask co-workers to give money for my kids fund raising. Never. It's awkward and presumptuous.
Just keep in mind you can say no and your co-workers know that when they bring the pamphlets in, they Hope to raise money but better not Expect it.

Liesl

March
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-06-2009 - 10:56pm

If it's for the school of a close friend or family member that happens to be religious, I would.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-07-2009 - 12:12pm

I have absolutely no problem saying no to giving money to something I don't support, no matter how young and cute the person asking is or what they want to offer me in return. That goes for charities and businesses both, and for any religious, political, or any other cause that I don't agree with.

I will and would again turned away small, smiling, uniformed children on my doorstep. It's my money and I don't owe it to them. I'm nice about it, but being friendly is not enough to earn my money so they don't get it!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-08-2009 - 11:57am
I love Girl Scouts and will happily support that organization. Yes, the word God is in their promise but the official policy regarding this pledge says:

"The Girl Scout organization makes no attempt to interpret or define the word 'God' but encourages members to establish for themselves the nature of their spiritual beliefs, it is the policy of the Girl Scouts of the U.S.A. that individuals when making the Girl Scout Promise may substitute wording appropriate to their own spiritual beliefs for the word 'God'."

My experience with Girl Scouts of America has been one of tolerance, freethinking and empowerment. In fact, my (very conservative) mother yanked me out of girl scouts because she said they were too liberal and feminist.

I absolutely do NOT support Boy Scouts of America or any religious organization (church youth groups, etc). I have no problem saying no kids who ask for money, though I never explain my philosophical objections to them because I don't think it's my place. However, if pressed by an adult, I am happy to explain my objections.

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-08-2009 - 11:32pm
I have no problem with Girl Scouts. Most of the local Scoutmasters I know in Boy Scouts have no issue with atheists or Gays, so I will support the troops if I know the Scoutmaster. The Salvation Army is out, but I am OK with Big Brothers/Big Sisters and Toys for Tots, and the United Way (the local chapters support Girl Scouts but not Boy Scouts).