Homeschooler doesn't mean Christian

iVillage Member
Homeschooler doesn't mean Christian
Tue, 03-10-2009 - 9:54am

So we have been leaving at our new base for about 2 weeks now and are enjoying ourselves.

Pages

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-10-2009 - 5:18pm

ACK!!!!!!!!!!
ICK!!!!!!!!!!

I know just what you mean!
BLECK!!!!!!!

So, otherwise, how is the new base? Do you settle in quick, or does it take you awhile?

Karen

Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Tue, 03-10-2009 - 7:25pm

It's great. We are loving the weather.

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-10-2009 - 9:21pm
It's true. When I first meet people, they OFTEN assume that we are Christian.

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 12:38am

Are you on Kadena AFB?

I know what you mean about people thinking that only their fellow Christians are getting the E-Mail. I get that on some of the Adoption boards and it seems that some people think that only Christians adopt children. I grew up and still live near NYC and never ran into such an attitude until on got on the adoption boards. Never ran into it on the trivia boards, and I noticed it more on the boards for adoption from China than on boards for adoption from Korea. Not sure why.

It is amazing what nasty things some people spew out.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 1:21am

Yes I am actually.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 7:06am

It's also really hard to find a group for housewives/SAHMs that isn't de facto Christian. Some of us stay home for reasons other than believing the invisible sky daddy is making us do so, but you wouldn't know it from internet forums.

You might find this amusing, but one of the several reasons I'm hoping to homeschool D.L. is to *avoid* religion classes in the public schools here. ;)

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 11:16am
Hmmm. I honestly didn't know that the military bases are so religiously biased.
Man, that would be tough to deal with on a daily basis!

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 4:00pm
I know what you mean about the stay at home mommy thing. I decided to stop my career and stay home with my daughter and it had absolutely nothing to do with religion. Honestly, I was able to do it and it was the right decision for us. However,it seems that every stay at home mommy that I meet is Christian and I'm often shunned by them when I don't attend their prayer meetings or church invitations. I have to try and keep quiet and hope they don't ask my faith. I have lost friends because I cannot believe in the things they do. I also am seriously thinking about homeschooling my daughter when she gets into Kindergarten. I love her preschool and the teachers there are very progressive, accepting and just all around wonderful teachers. It is just hat I am not happy with the schools in general here and feel that she could benefit so much more by learning at home. I am sure that in Ohio, I'm going to have to deal with stay at home homeschooling issues with Christian moms. They just don't get it. I guess being an Atheist mom, I could not possibly have my child's best interest at heart(rolls eyes). As for your "sky daddy" comment, that really cracked me up. I lost my real father at 3 and half years old to Cancer and I lost my "sky daddy" not long after that. Anyway, thanks for the laugh and I really understand what you're saying. Just not too sure what to do about it. I guess that is why I'm here.
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 6:19pm
*Puts tail between legs* I must say that I usually assume homeschoolers are Christian because the only families I've ever met who homeschooled were crazy religious. I have learned something today and I shall NOT assume anything! LOL!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 9:10pm
They have religion classes in the schools there?! WOW. I don't blame you for homeschooling to avoid that.

Pages