Any UU members here?

iVillage Member
Any UU members here?
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 6:30pm
Now, I'm straight up Atheist, but I find other religions interesting etc. There is a UU church REALLY close to me, in a park like setting..very peaceful...they even have classes for my boys. I'm interested in attending. I told the lady I'm agnostic at BEST and she said that everyone is welcome and that being Atheist would actually be a great fit. Anyone have any insight? Thanks!
Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 8:30pm

Me..........well I attended a UU church for several years but, don't go any more. I just can't fit it into my schedule. I work full time and have three kids and my weekends are very full. I would still go if I had more free time.

You will likely find many atheists in a UU church. There's a joke that goes "what do you call an atheist with kids?"........a unitarian universalist. Many atheists join a UU church after kids to give them a sense of community and have the kids learn about religion without dogma. I really enjoyed it. Every church is different and you should probably attend several services to get a real fee for the congregation. UUs tend to be an open liberal bunch.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-11-2009 - 9:01pm
It is a great way to help teach and show your kids love, compassion, understanding, and thinking skills.
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-12-2009 - 5:25am

Not that I've necessarily met a representative portion of UUs in the world ;) , but I've only ever met one that *wasn't* an atheist, and she was a deist so yeah, I think you'd likely fit in!

We're probably having a secular name-giving ceremony for our daughter at the one here. I say probably because we haven't gotten round to planning the details yet, and there's always that chance we'll wake up and be like, crap she's 3 and we never did that ceremony. But christenings are expected here and it's a great excuse to get the family together and get presents, so I want to do it. I haven't met all of DH's family yet.

I would be willing to attend more regularly, but I doubt I could get DH interested, and I don't care enough to nag him into it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-12-2009 - 1:42pm

I attended one for awhile and loved. Most of the members were atheist or agnostic and the few that weren't seemed to be deists or some sort of very liberal non-denominational christians. Every was VERY accepting and welcoming. There was no creed or dogma and the focus of the church seemed to be mainly on social justice, doing good works and being the best person you could be -- because you wanted to, not because "god" told you to.

I got too busy and never really attended faithfully, but I would definitely go again. Once Jamie and I have kids, we'll probably start attending. I think it's nice to have a "community" for kids and I'd be very comfortable raising my kids in a UU church. And, as one of the other poster's mentioned, they have fantastic classes for children.

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 03-13-2009 - 12:25pm

I'm a UU member and an atheist. I'd say about half the members at my UU church are atheist. Others are wiccan and other varieties of pagan, Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, various other deists, and some very liberal Christians, along with a bunch of agostics. :)

iVillage Member
Fri, 03-13-2009 - 12:56pm
LMAO!!! I LOVE the two UU jokes. Those are hilarious and JUST what I'm looking for! My evangalical inlaws are living in the area for a few months so they are just going to looooooove this, but oh well. I'm really excited to meet some like minded people. The RE program sounds amazing and my oldest has special needs. They are totally open to him and dealing with his delays which is wonderful. I can't believe I live so close to one. The hard part will be DH. He was brought up in the Southern Baptist church and it messed him ALL up. He is very freethinking so I think he knows in his heart it's all rubbish but he was brainwashed his entire childhood. When it comes to his feelings on religion he doesn't know his ass from his elbow. He gets weirded out though when I mention anything atheist-ish! LOL! I'm sure that's due to his upbringing. One of these days I'll bring him over to the dark side. ;-)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-14-2009 - 3:38pm

Your question got me thinking again on checking out the UU church in my city (which I've never visited, despite the fact that it is right around the corner). I mentioned it to my partner and she was very hesitant because she was worried that we wouldn't have anything in common with anyone who would attend church services of any kind. I was having difficulty explaining to her how open-minded and freethinking the congregation is, so I did a little googling and found this awesome link which lays out the basics of the church far better than I ever could. It's "100 Questions that Non-Members Ask about Unitarian Universalism" and it's fantastic. It covered every question she had and answered them with clear, concise answers. It was very helpful, and I'd highly recommend that anyone who is interested in learning more about the UU church or who is considering attending a service check it out!

http://www.uunashua.org/100quest.shtml

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-14-2009 - 7:58pm
Wow! Thanks Annie! My DH is apprehensive, so this should be great. I'll check it out right now!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-14-2009 - 8:47pm

"....my partner and she was very hesitant because she was worried that we wouldn't have anything in common with anyone who would attend church services of any kind."

Thought you might like to know that many UU churches have a designation of being a "Welcoming congregation". My church was one.The Welcoming Congregation Program is a volunteer program for congregations that see a need to become more inclusive towards bisexual, gay, lesbian, and/or transgender people. It consists of a series of workshops developed by the UUA. The goal of the workshops is to reduce prejudice by increasing understanding and acceptance among people of different sexual orientations.

Official recognition as a Welcoming Congregation allows the church to open as safe space for bisexual, gay, lesbian, and transgender persons; to take positions on oppression in the larger communities; and to accomplish outreach.

I know many churches are not so kind to the GLBT community so if this is one of her concerns, you should let her know it is decidedly not the case with UUs.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-14-2009 - 9:03pm

This is really interesting and ties in with a discussion I was having with my (catholic) manager the other day. I said that I wanted to raise Dylan in a way that allowed him to make up his own mind about what he believed, but that I wasn't sure how I would go about that.

The UU church seems to be quite a good fit for that, and might help to give me a sense of community that i am missing at the moment (single mum, living in Canada but all my family are in the UK)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

1500 posts

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pyzam Family Sticker Toy

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

TickerShack.com Ticker
<Photobucket

Pages