I could use some advice...

iVillage Member
I could use some advice...
Sun, 03-22-2009 - 1:07pm

Okay, think like a person who owns a business.
LOL

I'm going to this very Christian Homeschool Expo as a vendor. I will have a booth for selling my wares. Yes, I'll be ware selling.

Would you:
1. Sell Christian stuff too or
2. Sell Secular stuff for the rest of us or
3. Both, heavy on the Christian or
4. Both, heavy on the secular.

Help!
It starts this Thursday!
Karen

Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-22-2009 - 1:25pm

Hmm. If it doesn't bother you too much, you should probably bring whatever you think is going to sell. It's kind of a tough climate for businesses right now, and you don't want to sabotage yourself.

However, if it IS going to bother you to bring a lot of Christian stuff, would you be able to bring mostly English/Grammar/Foreign Language stuff that isn't Christian-based and isn't science-based either? I don't know much about homeschooling, so I don't even know if this is an option. If it's not, maybe it's not worth your time to go? I don't know. Maybe just a mix of everything? Maybe that's not helpful - oh well. Good luck anyway, and hope you sell a lot!

Heather

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-22-2009 - 4:11pm
Personally, I wouldn't have a problem selling Christian stuff, as long as it was still educational. Any ID/creationist propaganda I wouldn't touch with a 10-foot pole, but mentioning a god here and there wouldn't make me write it off.
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sun, 03-22-2009 - 4:42pm

Do you HAVE Christian-based stuff to sell? If it's an expo marketed toward Christian homeschoolers, then by all means, tote the Christian stuff! If you don't specifically have it, I wouldn't go out and get it, but if you've got it, use it to put some food on your family's table.

Really, as a business owner, you have to decide who your market is or who you want them to be, and then sell to that market. Too many businesses try to be everything to everyone and it just doesn't work out that well. (And yes, your market from change from day to day, spending one day with a market of folks who homeschool so their children are exposed to things that only agree with their Christian beliefs, and then spending the next day with a market of folks who are trying to raise their children to be free thinkers.)

GL!

Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sun, 03-22-2009 - 6:53pm

If it is a Christian Homeschool Expo, I'd bring both - heavy on the Christian.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-23-2009 - 12:31am
Happy News!
I got a call this evening from one of the women on the board of the expo saying how thrilled they are to have someone who carries secular materials at the expo.
I'm like WAAAAAAH?!
I'm relieved and I now plan on resuming taking the stuff I had already planned to take!
And, truly, thanks to all for your thoughtful replies.
Peace,
Karen
Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-23-2009 - 8:23am
I emailed you back and I think #4 is the best choice.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-23-2009 - 8:28am
Ok I should have read all the way through before I posted. Glad to hear that they are happy to have you there, and you can take the materials you are comfortable with.
iVillage Member
Mon, 03-23-2009 - 7:40pm

Awesome news on the call!

Have fun and make lots of money!

Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-23-2009 - 8:47pm

That's good to hear!

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Thu, 03-26-2009 - 3:46pm
Hope to hear it went well - and yay about the enthusiasm re: secular materials!