telling kids about your religious past

iVillage Member
telling kids about your religious past
Wed, 04-01-2009 - 10:37pm

I was raised Mormon, and became an atheist around age 20. My oldest child is 6. Most of my family is still LDS. I want him to know about his religious heritage, but I'm not sure how or when to talk about it, maybe take him to church, but does that way madness lie? We attend a UU church presently. What have others done in talking to your kids about your religious past? Is it sort of like telling them about drugs? Like if you tell them you did them but you think it's a bad idea, they might go well you didn't turn out so bad...I'll give it a go myself.
I also don't want my parents to get any ideas that we are in any way shape or form considering returning to the faith, or that I want my kids to participate in Mormonism, get baptized or anything like that. I just want them to know where I came from and what many of their relatives believe.

Elaine

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-02-2009 - 6:37am

If they're old enough, perhaps they could read (or you could read together) some books about it. You wouldn't have to go straight to the Book of Mormon, but there's lots of Mormon and ex-mo literature out there. While it might not specifically be about Mormonism, it would give insight into the culture and give a starting point for explaining that people in your family are like that and that's how you grew up. It also introduces it as just a thing that people do, rather than some big deal that needs to be warned about, which might tone down the potential attractiveness of it.

My daughter isn't talking yet, so no personal experience, but just some stuff that came to mind.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-02-2009 - 12:47pm
I would wait for your LO to bring it up, then present it as "I use to believe this way, then I realized that was not best for me, so now I believe this way". Good luck!
Photobucket

Photobucket