How "out" are you?

iVillage Member
How "out" are you?
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 3:47am

How "out" are you?

• No one knows. I don't even post here anonymously. I just lurk and vote.
  • This board knows, and no one else.
  • I'm only out online, but not just this particular board.
  • Most of my friends know, but not most of my family.
  • Most of my family knows, but not most of my friends.
  • Friends and family know, but I hide it from strangers.
  • I don't advertise it to strangers, but if it comes up, I'll freely admit it.
  • I'm open to everyone about it, e.g. I have a Darwin fish on my car.
  • I'm famous, and also an atheist/agnostic, e.g. I am Angelina Jolie.
  • I am famous for being an atheist/agnostic, e.g. I am Richard Dawkins.

You will be able to change your vote.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 3:55am

Just curious!

I'm totally open with everyone I meet… except with my family. They're 5000 miles away so I can get away with that. I hide a bunch of books and stuff when they come visit. I wouldn't lie about it if they asked, but until then, I just play along on the rare occasions we're together. Otherwise, it's no secret. My in-laws know, it's on my facebook page, etc. etc. lol

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 8:41am

I'm totally open about it if asked directly otherwise I don't say a word. If there is a group prayer or saying grace, I will not join in. My family knows. A few of them do not accept it. My coworkers know. Several frequently try conversion.

I don't care if people are believers until they try to convert me. That is just rude and pisses me off. I respect them and they should respect me. This is kinda s sore spot with me right now because attempts at conversion have been happening a lot lately. I just wish they would leave me the hell alone.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 9:17am

I'm trying to be more out.

I donated my freezer stash of EBM to another mom through

* Milk Share *

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 11:16am

I voted that my friends know but not family.

ἄθεος
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 11:51am
None of these categories really fit for me. My mom knows I don't go to church or want to be Catholic anymore because when I came home from college I announced that I wasn't going to be attending church with the family anymore because I don't get anything out it. She told me that I would come back when I needed it. I hope she's not waiting because that was 25 years ago. My brothers know that I am an atheist and they are too. My poor mom; she really failed with instilling faith in us. My extended family does not know.
All of my close friends know and most of them are atheist or agnostic as well. I don't volunteer this info to strangers but, if asked I will say I'm not religious. No one has ever tried to convert me or ask me to go to their church. I live in the northeast and this type of thing just doesn't happen here, at least in my experience
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 4:20pm

Our families know- my one sister is also Agnostic too- my DH's family used to have a hard time with it but over the years learned to deal with it.

Most of my work/friends don't know- I don't "hide" it but I think they suspect!

Actually the other day (and I work for an Insurance Co) we got into talking about how on an Insurance policy it states that the policy does not cover "Acts of God" - meaning anything caused by nature- a co-worker commented that it is strange they have not changed the wording to say" "Acts of Nature.." (and she's Catholic!) I agreed that the wording should change! Another worker went into a comment about how our Money has "God" in it and that when people are in danger or attacked they pray and that it is comforting ... etc etc that we shouldn't change the wording..blah blah- she then made a comment that during an attack or war- people turn to god for comfort and support - I pointed out that my DH was in Vietnam and that he observed that when young men lie dying the called out for thier Mothers - not god!! This co-worker dismissed my comment and still tried to twist it around that they really "meant" god! I said- no- they wanted their Mommies, Moms, Mothers!! - ho hum.

Kathy
Kathy
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 8:25pm

I have never hidden it. My Irish Catholic family went through some religious wars before I was born when my dad's brother married a woman who was Jewish and they raised their son Jewish.

There are several other atheists in the family now, my wife's best friend's husband is an atheist as well as my neighbor. About the most religious of my family and neighbors get are CE Catholics.

At work, religion does not come up much except to learn about differences. I am a computer programmer and about a quarter of my co-workers are from India and probably Hindu or Muslim (I know one is Christian and one is an atheist), another quarter are from China and are probably Buddhist or atheist, another quarter are from Russia and Eastern Europe (our CEO is from Hungary) and are probably Orthodox Christian or Jewish. Only about a quarter are born in the US and maybe half are Christian. The most common reason that religion comes up is for dietary reasons. I've known Hindus that will not eats eggs and some that will eat ground beef. I switched my egg drop soup with a Muslim who did not realize that Hot & Sour soup had pork in it (I now love Hot & Sour soup).

I grew up and still live near New York City, where people and religions are quite diverse, and people realize that pushing their religion can be impolite.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 9:28pm

Most people that know me know my beliefs.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 9:39pm

Well its on my social network pages and basically anywhere that ask my religion, but as far as actually telling family members, if they don't have a myspace or facebook then they don't know.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-04-2009 - 10:01pm
I am not "out" but I really don't hide it either. I really don't discuss my lack belief in any organized religion. But, I do think that most of my friends and family do know where I stand on religion, kwim?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket