New to this board--question

iVillage Member
New to this board--question
Sun, 04-05-2009 - 6:30pm

So, I'm not a Christian and I'm not an atheist (not really agnostic, either).

Amber

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-05-2009 - 7:18pm

Welcome to the board!

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-05-2009 - 8:17pm

Amber,
Welcome!
I think that most of here, actually, would appreciate the difference between "spirituality" and "religion"! So we get you there.

And I can't promise total lack of hostility at times for the religious/religions/etc, but I can promise you some wonderfully wise conversation, support, and a nice place to sit and read with a nice cup of tea!

Let's give you some time on the board and you can decide what you think! Please feel free to comment or question to your hearts content!

Peace,
Karen

Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-05-2009 - 8:26pm

Welcome!

Have you thought about looking into Universal Unitarianism? It may be a path to help you explore.

iVillage Member
Sun, 04-05-2009 - 9:12pm
Welcome to the board. I will second the suggestion that you look into a Unitarian Universalist congregation. I am an atheist UU but, don't regularly attend services. From how you describe yourself, I think you might like it.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-05-2009 - 9:36pm

Thanks for everyone's warm welcomes.

Amber

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-06-2009 - 9:04am

Welcome to the board! I think we have plenty enough in common without being exactly alike. ;) Personally, I was raised with religion and spent many years being spiritual-but-not-religious, and I'm definitely happier and find more meaning in life now as an atheist. But I can't claim to tell anyone else what makes them happy or gives them meaning. :)

It's also not my experience that atheists are, in general, hostile towards believers. I founded and ran an local atheist group for a while and I wouldn't have tolerated any hostility, but it never even came up. We might chuckle about specific BELIEFS, but most of us were former believers so we know first hand that intelligent and well-intentioned individuals can believe in some pretty chuckle-worthy things.

>> I do believe in evolution (as if that's something that can even be intelligently questioned). I do believe in educating oneself about all aspects of religion/spirituality so we can make informed decisions as opposed to emotionally-charged decisions out of opposition to something. <<

Amen!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-06-2009 - 7:57pm
Welcome I hope you find a nice place for yourself on this board. The people here are really awesome.
iVillage Member
Mon, 04-06-2009 - 10:28pm

Hi there! I'm pretty similar to you now, I'm pretty sure there's something out there beyond us, though I'm not 100% sure just what it is. This has been a great board, though, for connecting with people who aren't religious.

Don't rule out having your husband go with you to a UU church! It may actually be a happy medium for your family, because UU allows people to find and live their own path.

Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers