God is good??

iVillage Member
God is good??
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 2:05pm

This happened a while ago, but I keep thinking of it. A friend of mine had a miscarriage (she's since gone on to have a healthy baby girl). I hadn't heard of the m/c and when I saw her I congratulated her on her pregnancy. She then told me about the m/c and I apologized profusely, feeling just AWFUL. She said "oh, it's OK, God is good".

Huh? You have a m/c and "God is good"? Really? I don't think I'd be running around saying how good god is if I lost a pregnancy. I just didn't get it.

Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
In reply to: jgteach
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 4:13pm

I think it is one of those automatic responses and a quick way to sum up the theory that "no one knows why God does what he does, ours is not to question, he has our greater good in mind always even if it doesnt seem like it, etc, etc". So if they just say "God is good" then they are professing their faith that this horrible thing happened as a result of some greater plan of which they have no knowledge or understanding.

I understand the thinking (or NOT thinking) behind it, just find it ludicrous these days. Makes me glad to have 'seen the light'. What a relief it is to NOT have to make myself believe such hogwash.

Photobucket

May your day include things that are happy!
Lisa
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 5:53pm
The story reminds me of this.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 6:22pm
OMG, that's terrible! :D
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 6:33pm
People tell me I have a warped sense of humor.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 6:53pm

Another line I just love to hear is "God never gives me (you/us)

ἄθεος
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 3:28am
ACK.
Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 5:30am
I honestly think that is how they keep from hating god.
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 4:44pm
Quote: "I've also read far too many horror stories of women or families doing horrendous things to themselves or their special needs kids because they have no support and were OBVIOUSLY given more than they can handle."

Or the parents outsource the abuse to someone else like the, "Judge Rotenberg Center" where difficult, mentally handicapped and autistic kids are fitted with electroshock devices to keep them in line. Any mishap results in an automatic shock.

Check out:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2007/08/school-shock

I just wonder. Who helps these kids when they reach THEIR breaking point? God, our justice system and their parents have all turned a blind eye to the horrors.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 6:00pm

In a way I feel awful now, 'cause that image made me chuckle audibly.

I'm glad your friend can say "God is good" after her miscarriage. My uncle's death in a car accident is what caused my crisis of faith (it was just waiting for the right spark, really), 'cause I couldn't help wondering why God would take such a good man from the earth. (Maybe our synagogue's stance that Heaven may or may not exist because no one's come back to tell us the truth about what happens when we die didn't help either, since I didn't have the crutch of "God wanted such a good man with Him in Heaven.")

And even still...if God is so good, why is he letting so many horrors happen in our world? Have we really been SUCH bad children that we need such harsh punishment??

Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-11-2009 - 7:52am

QUOTE: "Or the parents outsource the abuse to someone else like the, "Judge Rotenberg Center" where difficult, mentally handicapped and autistic kids are fitted with electroshock devices to keep them in line. Any mishap results in an automatic shock.

Check out:
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2007/08/school-shock

I just wonder. Who helps these kids when they reach THEIR breaking point? God, our justice system and their parents have all turned a blind eye to the horrors."

ἄθεος