Christianity everywhere, but be vocal

iVillage Member
Christianity everywhere, but be vocal
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 7:15pm

about being non-Christian or other beliefs you are "being disrespectful" or "stirring the pot" or "what's with all the religion talk?".

I'm on another (non-ivillage) hobby board and in the last week there have been a handful of threads focusing on those who are not Christian or outright Pagan or athiest. In addition to the inevitable "I'll pray for you" "how do you have morals w/o religion" and outright offensive religious claptrap that some "Christians' have seen fit to pepper the threads with, i found it interesting that the above comments were made. Like the sheer fact that it is being mentioned in a positive way is an affront to certain Christians. (To be fair there were a number who called out the worst posters.)

I donated my freezer stash of EBM to another mom through

* Milk Share *

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 8:07pm

My hobby board was almost taken over by nutjobs also. At one point it seemed like every thread was a prayer thread!

Finally one of them started a consolidated, "prayer thread," and they stopped spamming the whole forum!

Honestly, if it had kept up then I probably would have left the community. I was feeling very uncomfortable. A few non-religious people spoke up, but the Christians outnumbered them too greatly.

I may be too sensitive, but it makes me feel like crap when people bring religion into hobbies and harp on it like crazy. The universal reply by all the nutjobs is, "If the posts bother you, don't read them." Well I don't! But they title every damn thread with JESUS and I am sick of seeing that name every time I refresh my HOBBY!

Sorry. No advice. However, you do have my sympathies.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 8:13pm
Oh, I would like to say... When people started complaining, they started posting MORE often. I am certain they, 'get off,' on making atheists feel bad. I think it is a trap. They are aiming for the agnostics who really like their hobby, but don't want to be ostracized from the group.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 8:29pm

"how do you have morals w/o religion" This is probably above a lot of xian's heads but I think that Kohlberg's stages of moral development explain the existence of morals without religion very well. It's an adaptation Piaget's theories. I remember learning about it in college. In a nutshell he says that people who are good for the fear of punishment (as in Hell) are not as morally evolved as those who will do the right thing because they know it is right. For a better explanation than I can give here see this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohlberg%27s_stages_of_moral_development

Of course they'll probably just think this psychologist is a godless heathen but, oh well.

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-09-2009 - 9:52pm

I stopped taking part in my pregnancy/parenting playgroup because the antagonistic attitudes from a few "Good Christians"

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 3:51am

Well, you're right, though.

According to Piaget and Kohlberg, the maturity of a person can often be determined by how that person faces and addresses problems that they face. Think about how you can watch your children moving from stage to stage as they learn better, more effective, healthier ways to address problems.
Eventually, they get to a level where they can talk about the problem and made decision with a world view rather than an egocentric view. Or think of the feelings of others and even be moved with empathy by the feelings of others.

Most people who follow the religions and allow their behavior and thoughts to be dictated by the majority or by the leader are at a very low level of moral maturity, three or four out of six...at the most in the Kohlberg scale of moral development.

An example of this lower level of moral development would be those people who are motivated to better behavior by the desire to be a "good girl" or simply following the morality of the masses.
So Kohlberg deals mainly with the REASONS for why a person follows the rules. Is it because "I won't get in trouble." or because "it effects my brothers and sisters in the world when I make choices and I make these choices based on internal and external cues".

ANYWAY, you are right in that there is a necessary ability to think globally, in an accepting manner, more ABSTRACTLY, and (sometimes) come to decisions about right and wrong that are not in agreement with the written rules or standards. This type of thinking requires a maturity that many people are unaware that they do not have!

I think that this is why it is SO difficult to move from being a believer to being a freethinker. One must develop their ability to learn, question, and to admit to the need to learn more. To admit that they don't have the answers! Furthermore, I think that Kohlberg and Piaget would agree with me when I say that there are stages of moving from a believer to a freethinker. These stages would be interesting to study in a longitudinal study and I would love to read one! lol

You are also right that deeply "religious" (as opposed to "spiritual") people are very distrustful of psychology and even philosophy. Mostly because these studies encourage questioning and because they consider the "gray areas" of human behavior, human motivations, and human needs.

Anyway, interesting,
Peace,
Karen

Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 5:23am

I've found that they do seem to be everywhere (maybe its just because they yell the loudest so reason and logic can't be heard).

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-11-2009 - 8:19am

Being Christian and having faith doesn't guarantee morals either.

ἄθεος