What do you do for Easter?

iVillage Member
What do you do for Easter?
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 10:08am

I still love the tradition with the coloring of the eggs and hiding them.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 11:08am
We do the Easter basket and a big dinner with family. Easter and Christmas are just family holidays for us. Just another reason to party. ;)
Photobucket

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 12:07pm

This is the first easter that Dylan is old enough to do anything, and we are going to an egg hunt near a friend's parents house. When he gets older, I think I will present easter as a celebration of the end of winter and the beginning of spring.

I actually think easter is probably the easiest of the holidays to explain in non-religious terms as to my mind, it's so obviously an ancient festival appropriated by various religions. The whole egg thing is just so clearly about the end of winter and the advent of warmer weather (although no-one seems to have told the weather in Canada!!)

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
1800 posts
Photobucket
Photobucket

Photobucket

Pyzam Family Sticker Toy
Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

TickerShack.com Ticker
<Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 1:38pm
We
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 4:58pm

Another family that celebrates Easter without any religious significance.

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 5:49pm

LilyAnne's still too young to really care what happens at holidays, so this year we're kinda setting the precedent of having the Passover Seders (since I grew up Jewish, and I see it as a cultural link), and MAYBE we'll go to Mom's UU Easter service if we end up going up there this weekend (we're a bit worried about our car making the 75-mile trip now). If we don't make it to Mom's, Easter will be just like any other day.

As LilyAnne gets older, I may or may not do an Easter basket for her...though possibly call it a SPRING basket, 'cause otherwise it just seems like the retailers' push for me to buy toys and candy that my child probably doesn't need. But we'll see.

Since DH's family (except DH and 3 of his brothers, of 7 siblings total) is at least somewhat religious, and to balance the lesson on Passover, LilyAnne will learn the story of Easter, and know that while some people like Nani and Grandpa Preston and Uncle Joe (one of DH's brothers that lives with us) believe it, others like Mama and Daddy aren't really sure it's the truth.

Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-11-2009 - 5:09am

We do the commerical Easter, you know the bunny, the eggs, the overpriced baskets. It really is so much fun, although my oldest is starting to see that it's all fake and he isn't even five yet! He really is too smart for his own good. LOL.

iVillage Member
Sat, 04-11-2009 - 9:33am

We do the spring thing also.

I have been calling it Rabbit Bunny Day: A celebration of spring and all things living.

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-13-2009 - 1:57pm

I like the Rabbit Bunny Day idea. I may have to carry around a bunny, myself, next year!

I, too, celebrate this as a holiday to honor Spring. Even when I was a believer I couldnt get past the feeling that religion had 'invaded' what was clearly a celebration of Spring. We do the Easter Bunny, colorful spring decorations, big family dinner and all. My Mom does an egg hunt for the kids (she has 60 plastic eggs-sheesh). The gifts I get for my son and my nieces are all Spring related or bunny related. For example, one year I gave my nieces each a clay pot with some small kid-sized garden tools, packet of flower seeds and a few pieces of Easter candy tossed in, too. This year, it was a mixing bowl, sugar cookie mix and cookie cutters shaped like butterflies and flowers. My son gets similar stuff-sidewalk chalk, bubbles, bunny-ish toys, etc.

Although my SIL and her father are quite religious (born again)it is never really brought up during our family get together. I guess they get it all out of their systems at church that morning.

Photobucket

May your day include things that are happy!
Lisa