New to the board

iVillage Member
New to the board
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 1:15pm
Hi, I was thrilled to find this board! I've found raising my children as agnostic in a society obsessed with religion has been quite a lonley and many times problematic feat. Our family thinks we are ruining our children's lives by not taking them to church and brainwashing them (as i was). I'm looking forward to interacting with other parents with like minded beliefs and hearing about your experiences!
iVillage Member
In reply to: bradsgrl
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 5:01pm

Welcome to the board!

Disney Sig
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 5:26pm
Michelle,
You are very welcome! I'm looking forward to hearing more from you...please just jump in!
Peace, Karen
Atheist Pictures, Images and Photos

Made by Anne Pictures, Images and Photos

husband Pictures, Images and Photos

Science As A Candle in The Dark\" by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan Pictures, Images and Photos

Bollywood Pictures, Images and Photos

I Love My Children! Pictures, Images and Photos
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 5:38pm

Hi Michelle, and welcome! I'm Elisa, agnostic Mama to 6-month-old LilyAnne Faye.

Unlike a lot of others on this board, I'm pretty lucky in that my mom, who's still holding to her Jewish beliefs, and DH's parents, who are VERY Christian, are both understanding of the fact that DH and I question who or what's up and out there and don't go to church...a VERY fortunate thing with the ILs! I think it helps that we all at some point simply agreed to respect each others' beliefs or lack thereof, and if it means that my little family occasionally goes to a religious observance, so be it. And Mom's appeased by the fact that I've decided to do things like light the menorah at Channukah and have Passover Seders, because I see those as a link to my CULTURAL heritage as much as any religious act.

Even with all that, though, it's just good to know there's a place where I can talk with others who feel as I do about religion, because where we live, people are VERY religious and I just need to get away from it all!

Photobucket

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Photobucket

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 5:54pm
Hi, thanks for sharing! I think its amazing that you embrace your heritage &
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 7:36pm

Welcome to the board!

I know how you feel.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-10-2009 - 8:37pm
I'm actually from the south (moved north for my husband) and we had considered moving back down but we wanted a more open and accepting environment for our kids. My family and everyone I know from childhood are all strict Seventh Day Adventists, and aren't even open to other religions so I haven't revealed my beliefs to them yet. Thanks for writing me , it's so refreshing to hear about others going through the same thing I am. Have a great weekend!
iVillage Member
Sat, 04-11-2009 - 4:57am
Welcome to the board! Hope you enjoy it as much as we all do.
iVillage Member
Sun, 04-12-2009 - 10:40am
Welcome! this has been a great place to read and post!
Photobucket

Photobucket