I'm new here too!

iVillage Member
I'm new here too!
Thu, 04-16-2009 - 5:59pm

Hi there!

I was baptized and grew up attending the United Church of Canada, which is a pretty liberal branch of Christianity if you ask me. I have no gripes about how the church is run, or what they allow/don't allow; in fact, I couldn't be happier that they "permit" same-sex unions and gay/lesbian clergy members.

The thing is, I just don't believe any of "it". I don't think it's "by the grace of God" that Bob and Jane were blessed with a baby after 20 years of trying, or a "miracle" that Susan won the lottery just as they were going to repossess her house. It's called LUCK! And it ticks me off when people spout the "God will provide" line when they have next to nothing, 8 kids under the age of 10 and don't work. That's well and good, but don't think that "God" is the one who's going to come and make everything all better!

I guess I'd be considered Agnostic, because I believe that some things are impossible to prove. HOWEVER, I do think there are some aspects of religious that are pretty easy to prove/disprove, so maybe I'm more Atheistic in that respect (walking on water, a loaf of bread feeding 1000 people...um, nope!).

Thanks for listening! It's nice to have a supportive place to come to and sort of get this all out. I do go to church once a year, at Christmas, because we spend it with my grandmother and she is a major church-goer. I got a "talk" asking me whether I went to church on a regular basis, because doing so gives you stability in life, and centres you, and makes your life better...I'm sure you've all heard something along these lines from someone! I just said that no, I do not go to church on a regular basis, and sort of smiled and nodded. Gotta love people who try and convince you!

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-16-2009 - 7:46pm

Welcome, drivin!
I was reading your ivillage profile and I saw that your favorite movies is "Bridget Jones's Diary". While that isn't one of my favorite movies, it does have one of my favorite movie lines, 'Oh yes they F*cking do..." (Swoon...)
LOL!

I'm glad you found us! We have had a few other new folks join us lately. So please feel free to jump right in!
Welcome!
Peace,
Karen

Edited 4/16/2009 7:47 pm ET by imshooshy
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-16-2009 - 7:48pm

Hi and welcome.....you will love it here!!

iVillage Member
Thu, 04-16-2009 - 8:34pm

Hi! I am so happy to see so many new people here! I come from pretty much the same background as you did, I liked my United church well enough and attended holiday services pretty regularly, but just didn't buy any of it.

Welcome!

Photobucket

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 3:42am
Welcome to the board! Atheists don't necessarily think there is proof of no god or that it's possible to prove that there is no god. It's about belief, not proof. a=no, theism=god belief. I don't have a belief in a god, therefore I'm an atheist. Agnosticism is about knowledge. a=no, gnostic=having knowledge. I don't know with 100% certainty if there is a god or not, so I'm an agnostic as well. They aren't mutually exclusive. :)
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 4:19am

Welcome! I hope you find all you're looking for here. The folks here are great, always willing to read through a vent and offer advice or just a virtual shoulder to cry on.

iVillage Member
Fri, 04-17-2009 - 8:04am

Welcome to the board!

Disney Sig